Temporary hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
This potbellied stove I have for the shed, can some cinder blocks work as a hearth pad until i make something decent? I figured that the blocks would allow air flow underneath, so they'd work pretty well. Just to clarify: I'm not talking about just four for the legs, I'm talking about making a square about 48" wide x ?? long

Cinder blocks will work temporarily, but any install manual will tell
you that with a loose block/brick construction (i.e. no grout/mortar in the seams)
you have to put a piece of sheet or plate metal on the floor first, in case
a live ember falls into the gap between them.

DAKSY said:
Cinder blocks will work temporarily, but any install manual will tell
you that with a loose block/brick construction (i.e. no grout/mortar in the seams)
you have to put a piece of sheet or plate metal on the floor first, in case
a live ember falls into the gap between them.
agreed on the sheet metal or maybe some cement-board.

I'd forgoe the temporary hearth, and do something permanent right away. Those temporary pads have a tendency to become permanent after a yr or so....

summit said:
I'd forgoe the temporary hearth, and do something permanent right away. Those temporary pads have a tendency to become permanent after a yr or so....
i have a LOT of old brick. Does anyone know if I used the cinder blocks on their sides and then covered the whole thing (top and sides) with this old brick, would that be sufficient? I know that cement, itself, doesn't have much R-value, but I'm wondering if that would be enough with the air pockets underneath??

Summit is right, temporary often becomes 'good enuf' and remains. That said, unmortared brick or block can move if kicked, stove moves, etc.. And that design doesn't stop embers going between cracks. So, if I was to make a hearth like this I would frame the perimeter to hold the bricks in and lay down some sheetmetal or cement board on the floor before making the hearth to stop any errant ember that might fall through a crack.

As others have said . . . once something is in and running it's too often to let it go and not get back to making things right . . . one vote for doing it right the first time . . . if you use the cinder blocks make it so they don't allow embers to reach the combustible floor.

BeGreen said:
Summit is right, temporary often becomes 'good enuf' and remains. That said, unmortared brick or block can move if kicked, stove moves, etc.. And that design doesn't stop embers going between cracks. So, if I was to make a hearth like this I would frame the perimeter to hold the bricks in and lay down some sheetmetal or cement board on the floor before making the hearth to stop any errant ember that might fall through a crack.

and by the time you do all that, you'll have a nice permanent board and not have to mess with it again. Excellent plan, BG!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.