Temporary Pellet stove Hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahboy33

Feb 12, 2015
Northwestern Pennsylvania
Hi all have a quick question. Im installing a pellet stove soon in a temporary location, just for this winter. I have an old fire place im planning on removing next spring. My question is would .5" cement board be good enough for a temporary stove pad for the pellet stove. The stove sits on a Pedestal as is. I would rather not have to spend alot on a stove pad since I plan on using the old hearth from the fireplace. Any help would be appreciated.

We really can't answer CORRECTLY unless you tell us what stove you have. Manufacturers specify hearth requirements
based upon laboratory testing of their products. You must adhere to those specifications for install, temporary or not.

The manual states stove must be placed on a non-combustible floor pad or masonry hearth. According to other sources this would be the case that cement board would suffice.. Just wanted to get some info or a definitive answer from here.

Well, there you go. If no R-value is required, you should be good to go with concrete board.
Make sure that you use a large enough piece to meet side, front & rear clearance-to-combustible specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.