Temporary Solution?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A direct connect is a setup for problems down the road and a potential fire trap as creosote cleanings pile up on the block off plate around the hot flue pipe. Do a full liner for better performance, easier cleaning and greater safety.

Hi All -

Thanks for your advice and guidance. That led me to disregard the chimney person who told me I could use this insert by simply sliding it into the fireplace opening and using it without any connection. This morning I had the Appalachian 52 professionally installed with a full 30' liner (8" round). It's fired up and appears to be working properly. I'm fiddling a bit with the damper and the air intakes on the sides. I'm pleased to report that all I see coming out of the chimney is mostly just the wavy air and occasionally a little bit of steam/white smoke. Yay!

As for heat coming out of the insert. It's pumping out warm air pretty nicely. I have the blower on full and while it's noisy, it's not at all unmanageable.

Congratulations. Try turning down the blower to medium. It may move enough air at a higher temperature that you prefer that setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.