Temporary wood storage question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hardwaregrrl

Sep 17, 2015
Atlanta
Hey all! I live in Atlanta Georgia and I have a small wood shed that is still half full due to the mild temps. This week I'm having a pignut hickory taken down and will be splitting all of it.....now to the question. I don't have a ton of space in this part of my yard and I need somewhere to temporarily house the wood until I burn through the shed maybe 3 months tops? Could I put a tarp down under my deck and just stack on top of that until I'm ready to move it into dry storage? I'm worried mostly about termites not so much seasoning as the summer will take care of it once it's in the shed. Thanks for the consideration.

My experience (in Eastern TN) is that termites will get up thru pallets with blazing speed.
Hence I suggest to put pallets (or 2*4s) on blocks - with the holes in the cinder blocks horizontal (to not have dark, humid channels up thru the interior of the cinder blocks).

Reactions: hardwaregrrl
Even if it's on my driveway I always put hickory up on four x fours. It's the most susceptible to carpenter ants, and other bugs might like it too. Not sure if termites go for it or not, but good to error on the side of maybe they do. My termite inspector tells me they're not into hardwood very much.

Reactions: Grizzerbear