Temps in Security BIS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdnxj

Jan 3, 2010
Ontario Canada
Hi all, burning rookie this year. I have an older (20+ years) BIS by Security Chimneys in the house we bought just over 2 years ago. My only other source of heat is electric baseboards. So this year I decided to fire this thing up and see how it would run. It can definitely pump out the heat. Its a 1600 sq foot split with finished basement and it does a great job keeping the basement nice and toasty. Have been burning almost daily over the holidays and I'm starting to get the hang of burn times, reloads, cycles etc. I have a mixture of standing dead wood cut/split this fall and mixed hardwood scrounged from various local sources. I do have the odd piece that sizzles but once the fire is good and hot I don't have any problems.

My question is, I'm trying to figure out what kind of temps I am running at. I have limited options for temp gauge. I have a Rutland style thermometer placed inside the glass doors sitting on the air wash "ledge". Highest temps I see here are 300 to 350 deg F. Can anyone interpret this to what kind of temps I would be seeing at the stove top and/or flue temp? I think I'm getting a nice hot fire, firebox is staying clean, glass is clean, and no exterior smoke. Did a top-down sweep last week and ended up with about a cupful of dry brown crud.

I see a few people in the forum burning the newer BIS Ultra. Anyone with an older Security BIS?

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.