Temps pretty even..and a question please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmieguns

Dec 10, 2012
Long Island, NY
Temps prety even in accuracy! bought the infrared today-- may not need it. i measured th inside of the firebox with the infrared- it said 500 F when outsides read 250 ishF does the inside temp sound right after burning for about 2hours 15-30 minutes? using good woodTbtw

YHANKS

tempgauges.jpg

Did you open the door to get the internal temps? I've found that shooting through the glass gives a low reading...sometimes way low.

Did you open the door to get the internal temps? I've found that shooting through the glass gives a low reading...sometimes way low.

Hi- went thru the glass- will retry like you said -direct- hope its MUCH higher :) what is max temp you've recorded/seen?

I believe the IR will read a composite temperature of the glass and what's behind it, which won't be very useful. Perhaps someone can verify this.

IR thermos are useless on reflective surfaces. Says it in the manual too.

YEP you were RIGHT-- much higher when door open! wow-- is this possible? i DO have ALOT of coals right now 4 1/2 hours and alot of wood ALL replies appreciated and requested

opendoortemp.jpg

Reactions: Oldhippie
Jimmie, it is hotter with the door shut. That is the problem with taking the temperature with the door open, You allow a lot of cooler air into the firebox. Still danged hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.