1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tempwood 2 Should I gasket under the loading door?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Neil-V1, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Look for a bit of help. I am wondering if anyone has a gasket under their round door of a Tempwood 2 wood stove? I know there is very little room to put a gasket under the round top plate but I was wondering if they make one thin enough??? I had my fire damped too much and had a bit of puffback and I am thinking that this may help. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Hey Neil, the Tempwoods never came gasketed but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Still, it would just be a band-aid in your case. The reason for the puff back is likely chimney related, or maybe just damping the stove down too much. Next time try giving it a bit more air and see if that does it . It may or may not. Wood mthat's very dry sometimes contributes to puffing back believe it or not!! Happy heating.
  3. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    That makes sense because the wood I am burning right now has been sitting in my garage for 3 years. It is VERY dry but still hard as heck. It was also a lot more mild last night than I thought it was going to be as well, so I had the stove damped way down. Thanks for the help.
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    You shouldn't need to. Crack the air a bit more if it ever puffs again.