tempwood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Fire maker

Jan 11, 2011
adams ma
Hello everyone I am currently making tempwood stoves... we did go out of business but are slowly returning im starting the ul process and ive been burning the tempwood onsite for testing i am making firebricks for purchase please call with questions or feedback thankd Joe 413-743-0022

Welcome Joe. Will the new stove still be downdraft? EPA approved?

My cousin used one of those back in the seventies. Good concept but plain looking. Probably not meant for looks anyway.

joe, anything going on now? I would love to see one of these stoves in my current house

Website yet?

Also, if you are interested in advertising on the site, don't be afraid to contact Webmaster about information.

pen

Joe Fire maker said:
We are in full production please call for details 413-743-0022 .
Thank You Joe White

Yes, some more info would be great. Will this be an EPA tested and approved model or a 35:1 burner?

Joe Fire maker said:
Hello everyone I am currently making tempwood stoves... we did go out of business but are slowly returning im starting the ul process and ive been burning the tempwood onsite for testing i am making firebricks for purchase please call with questions or feedback thankd Joe 413-743-0022

Hi Joe: We became aware of this great news a couple of weeks ago! You announced it on my birthday, and what a great birthday present. We currently have two and run one...the big boy. Any chance of a top-loading glass front?? You takin' orders? Need any distributors?? We're your best advertisements! No other technology makes sense to us. Good luck with the UL!

If you are really making these stoves and are interested in folks learning about them, you should keep us in the mix. What have they been tested at? Got a photo? Website, specs?

Not sure much to hawk your wares here, because thats what advertising is for..

But there are a bunch of us who remember the Tempwoods from 20 years ago and would love to be in the loop during their reinvention.

Joe, if you don't have a website yet and are interested, let me know. I like to work with small companies and I do inexpensive websites for them as well as family and friends.

I'd love to see some pics. Also, downdraft? Does that mean this is a gasifier?

www.tempwoodstoves.com is the site, and there is a diagram / photo there. It's definitely a working man's stove, a stove for the pragmatist.
They're are now on sale, pricing is around $1250 or so, I believe.
Full disclosure: I am biased; my dad used to manufacture them in the late '70s.

Reactions: EvansEliminator2
I had a Tempwood in the '70s and '80s and loved it. But it was an early one and had no firebrick in it. The metal in the bottom of the stove started to get a little thin from years of burning. For safety's sake I replaced it with a Vermont Castings non-catalytic "Defiant". Give me the Tempwood any day of the week!! I think it heats better, holds a fire longer, and is way safer. The Defiant often makes these scarey noises like I'm having a chimney fire, and it sometimes puffs, and blows smoke back into the house. The Tempwood is a great stove, and I may just sell the Defiant now that I can buy a new Tempwood. By the way, I love the look of it.

My cousin had one of the early ones in the 70's. Great heater. Needs to have a glass viewing front to make it more appealing. Maybe that's next for the company.

this thread sort of fell off over time, I'm just wondering, did you make these new Tempwoods, and did they pass the new EPA cert making them legal to sell in USA ? do you have any pictures of the actual stove ? the website looked like something in its infancy startup stage with drawn diagrams but no pictures of actual stoves. where are we with this ? to be honest this type of stove has a lot better reports and user comments than the new catalytic and noncatalytic stoves do. it is the only downdraft type stove with GOOD reports. all the others have neg comments of some sort. thanks

Looks like they are available and UL listed as well.

I can certainly testify to their efficiency, utility, safety and ease of use.

By the way, Just about every fair sized welding shop on Cape Cod also makes these same stoves. They are very simple and there is also an extra large version, as well as a baffle which was never in the original. The baffle adds even more efficiency.

Looks like they are available and UL listed as well.

I can certainly testify to their efficiency, utility, safety and ease of use.

By the way, Just about every fair sized welding shop on Cape Cod also makes these same stoves. They are very simple and there is also an extra large version, as well as a baffle which was never in the original. The baffle adds even more efficiency.

let me explain, any old stove from pre-1980 was also UL listed. today stoves have to be EPA certified, or they are illegal to sell. making and selling a noncompliant stove from the EPA standpoint, carries serious fines and can even lead to a prison sentence for the guy tooling it up with impunity for the laws. the website is there but lists no prices or pictures. sorry but I'd have to disagree with your statement without verfication from the stove maker, I don't think they are being made, because the only stoves that would pass today's strict emission laws, would be catalytic, noncatalytic secondary air reburn type, or anthracite coal stoves.

the only way to make a wood stove today that can burn dirty, is get it classified as a furnace, and the old tempwood is too small to get that exemption.

if these stoves are being made across the cape, they are taking a big risk of getting nailed for some serious EPA violations. I have relatives on the cape and have been there many times, being the type of eco-conscious area it is, I find this doubtful. yes they may be efficient, but they have to pass a grams per hour emission test to be legal to sell to the public now. don't take this the wrong way, I'm not a tree hugger by a long shot, if it was up to me there would be no emissions standards on anything. but this is the law today.

if it was so easy to make a clean burning stove by just drafting it with 2 tubes downward, they would not bother installing $350 cats and fragile ceramic reburn chambers in non-cats. They'd just put 2 cheap iron downdraft pipes on it and be done. I have 99.9% certainty that the old tempwood stove design would never pass today's stringent EPA laws, they just made them even more strict only a week ago. The OP of this thread has not posted again since this thread, I have strong intuition this project has been deep sixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the EPA site, Tempwood is not listed as a legal for sale EPA certified stove. Just a word to the wise, the fella who posted this would be well advised to take down the website advertising the stove ! No doubt he made some great imrpovements to the original design with better firebrick and thicker 1/4" plate. I'd like to buy one from him !! But in reality that website is a smoking gun of evidence for EPA to nail him for noncompliance. We are talking big time fines 100's of thousands $$$ or higher. Maybe jail. It sounds like a skilled welder who used an original Tempwood as a template pattern to tool up new stoves with thicker material. But someone has to educate him and fill him in on the fact, you just can't start making stoves today and selling them out of your garage or small shop anymore. This is not 1980. That would be like tooling up new cars without a cat converter and no emissions controls with a carburetor, they'd nail you to the cross for that today. Here is the list below link.

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Enclosed is the list of wood stoves certified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA Certified Wood Stoves list contains information about wood stoves or wood heating appliances that have been certified by the EPA along with its manufacturer name, model name, emission rate (g/hr), heat output (btu/hr), efficiency (actual measured and estimated), and type of appliance. It also indicates whether the appliance is still being manufactured. An EPA certified wood stove or wood heating appliance has been independently tested by an accredited laboratory to determine whether it meets the particulate emissions limit of 7.5* grams per hour for non-catalytic wood stoves and 4.1* grams per hour for catalytic wood stoves. All wood heating appliances that are offered or advertised for sale in the United States are subject to the New Source Performance Standard (NSPS) for New Residential Wood Heaters under the Clean Air Act and are required to meet these emission limits.

An EPA certified wood heater can be identified by a temporary paper label attached to the front of the wood stove and a permanent metal label affixed to the back or side of the wood stove (see examples below). If you have questions regarding

let me explain, any old stove from pre-1980 was also UL listed. today stoves have to be EPA certified, or they are illegal to sell. making and selling a noncompliant stove from the EPA standpoint, carries serious fines and can even lead to a prison sentence for the guy tooling it up with impunity for the laws. the website is there but lists no prices or pictures. sorry but I'd have to disagree with your statement without verfication from the stove maker, I don't think they are being made, because the only stoves that would pass today's strict emission laws, would be catalytic, noncatalytic secondary air reburn type, or anthracite coal stoves.

the only way to make a wood stove today that can burn dirty, is get it classified as a furnace, and the old tempwood is too small to get that exemption.

if these stoves are being made across the cape, they are taking a big risk of getting nailed for some serious EPA violations. I have relatives on the cape and have been there many times, being the type of eco-conscious area it is, I find this doubtful. yes they may be efficient, but they have to pass a grams per hour emission test to be legal to sell to the public now. don't take this the wrong way, I'm not a tree hugger by a long shot, if it was up to me there would be no emissions standards on anything. but this is the law today.

if it was so easy to make a clean burning stove by just drafting it with 2 tubes downward, they would not bother installing $350 cats and fragile ceramic reburn chambers in non-cats. They'd just put 2 cheap iron downdraft pipes on it and be done. I have 99.9% certainty that the old tempwood stove design would never pass today's stringent EPA laws, they just made them even more strict only a week ago. The OP of this thread has not posted again since this thread, I have strong intuition this project has been deep sixed.

OK pal. I'll tell everyone to stop making them, LOL.

FYI the Tempwood is a completely functional gassifier, (it was the first gassifier) I can bring any relative you want to a showroom and show them one for sale,

Two pipes pointed downward does indeed provide the same complete combustion as more modern versions, and with the added baffle, they burn even less wood than the originals.

and third, I am utterly amazed they you are basically calling me a liar and you have no idea who I am whatsoever, but that is cool too, it is entirely on you.

If you sell 50 stoves a year or less you don't have to get it EPA certified. But don't burn the joint down with one if it isn't UL spec tested and expect the insurance company to pay ya.

OK pal. I'll tell everyone to stop making them, LOL.

FYI the Tempwood is a completely functional gassifier, (it was the first gassifier) I can bring any relative you want to a showroom and show them one for sale,

Two pipes pointed downward does indeed provide the same complete combustion as more modern versions, and with the added baffle, they burn even less wood than the originals.

and third, I am utterly amazed they you are basically calling me a liar and you have no idea who I am whatsoever, but that is cool too, it is entirely on you.

with all the hoopla over EPA stoves today, you really want to sell non-EPA certed new stoves ? are you for real ?
sell all the stoves you want. when you sell stove 51, don't come crying when they slap the cuffs on you. there's not a single person here nor this webpage site, that would condone willingly breaking the law, no matter how strongly we disagree with it. that's just stupid. you need a reality check fella...

they have 67 smoke police in Washington State in one county, just to check chimney emissions ,and are issuing $1000 fines as I key this. we all know how regulated Mass. and Cape Cod are. who in their right mind is going to buy a new stove, they can eventually get nailed for dirty smoke emissions with in a place like that ? for that matter, there's no wood to cut and burn in Cape Cod. how much is a cord of wood there, $500 a cord ?

If you sell 50 stoves a year or less you don't have to get it EPA certified. But don't burn the joint down with one if it isn't UL spec tested and expect the insurance company to pay ya.

and what happens when you sell stove 51...with all due respect, it's not worth it. just like playing with a basket full of rattlesnakes, sooner or later, you are going to get bit. with the administration in charge now, and what's coming down the pike in 2016, forgettaboutit...

do you really think Hillary is going to let us all tool up our own woodstoves in the garage ?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH !!! no chance.

I checked the EPA site, Tempwood is not listed as a legal for sale EPA certified stove. Just a word to the wise, the fella who posted this would be well advised to take down the website advertising the stove ! No doubt he made some great imrpovements to the original design with better firebrick and thicker 1/4" plate. I'd like to buy one from him !! But in reality that website is a smoking gun of evidence for EPA to nail him for noncompliance. We are talking big time fines 100's of thousands $$$ or higher. Maybe jail. It sounds like a skilled welder who used an original Tempwood as a template pattern to tool up new stoves with thicker material. But someone has to educate him and fill him in on the fact, you just can't start making stoves today and selling them out of your garage or small shop anymore. This is not 1980. That would be like tooling up new cars without a cat converter and no emissions controls with a carburetor, they'd nail you to the cross for that today. Here is the list below link.

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

Enclosed is the list of wood stoves certified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA Certified Wood Stoves list contains information about wood stoves or wood heating appliances that have been certified by the EPA along with its manufacturer name, model name, emission rate (g/hr), heat output (btu/hr), efficiency (actual measured and estimated), and type of appliance. It also indicates whether the appliance is still being manufactured. An EPA certified wood stove or wood heating appliance has been independently tested by an accredited laboratory to determine whether it meets the particulate emissions limit of 7.5* grams per hour for non-catalytic wood stoves and 4.1* grams per hour for catalytic wood stoves. All wood heating appliances that are offered or advertised for sale in the United States are subject to the New Source Performance Standard (NSPS) for New Residential Wood Heaters under the Clean Air Act and are required to meet these emission limits.

An EPA certified wood heater can be identified by a temporary paper label attached to the front of the wood stove and a permanent metal label affixed to the back or side of the wood stove (see examples below). If you have questions regarding

Prove that the Tempwood is not compliant. It didn't need to be upgraded to pass, it was a full on gassifier from the start, and good luck telling swamp yankees what they can or cannot do.

It is nothing like what you say, modern gassifiers don't use catalytic converters either. It is one or the other, not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.