1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tempwood users out there?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by nosaudioil, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    My Tempwood came with an adapter that fit over the stove outlet but inside the stovepipe.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Creekyphil

Creekyphil New Member

Loc:
    Eastern MA - South Shore
    My pipe goes over the lip on the stove. Bead of cement on the ring, then slip on the pipe, then 3 screws.
  3. nosaudioil

nosaudioil Member

Loc:
    coastal ME
    Word usta be: over the stove lip and then the crimped up on the way to the chimney thimble. thought was as to make the draft "flow" better. However the suggestion now: is the first pipe crimped into the stove and crimped on down do the stove on the way to the exit on the chimney thimble. Of course the last piece of pipe into the chimney thimble needs to be crimped on both end. This is for any possible water and/or tarlike products into the stove and then burned. The draft "flow" won't really care which end of the flue pipes are crimped. Getting a flue crimp tool is handy to have too!
  4. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Thanks for the help. You guys have been great. I am wondering thought how much heat comes out under the stove? I am having to cut the legs on the stove because my fireplace opening is only 27" high. The stove is sitting on a brick hearth and it is now lined with 2" of sand in the bottom and there is a 1/8" sheet of aluminium under the stove. I am of the thinking that I should be just fine with this set up even with such short legs. Should heat be a problem underneath? Any opinions? Thanks again. Neil.
  5. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Leave a few inches of ash in your tempwood too.

I empty my ash once a month at the most.
  6. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    OK......got my Tempwood 2 all hooked up yesterday. I have the chimney lined all the way up and out to the top cap and I screwed all the connections together and there is no way in heck these things will come apart now. However, yesterday when I checked my draft by holding my lighter inside the stove, the flame was sucked right out the back of the exhaust collar very strongly. Today though, the draft was weak as heck and I bunched up a couple pieces of paper and lit them on fire, tossed them in the stove and opened the stove up all the way (damper and vents) and I actually had a bit of smoke back up into the house through the vents on me. I looked at all my connections behind the stove and into the liner and no smoke was leaking out, but it worried the wife. I thought it has something to do with the outside temps vs the inside house temps maybe causing it to back up a bit because the fire inside the stove was so little and weak?????

I am hoping you guys can help me out with your experiences. Would this be considered normal until I get a good fire going?? Also, I left about one and a half (maybe two) inches of the liner sticking out above the top plate at the end of my liner (at the top of the chimney). Is that enough sticking out or maybe it should be flush? I am the one that removed this liner three years or so ago but I can't remember how much was sticking out the top if any. Any opinions (or facts) would be great. Thanks, Neil V.
  7. nosaudioil

nosaudioil Member

Loc:
    coastal ME
    A few questions: What is the (your) chimney height? At the time what was the temp outside and inside? Any house powered bath vents or the clothes dryer operating at the time? Very windy outside?
    You probably know all this stuff, but The Tempwood stove fire is built "upside down" To start: flue damper & disc stove air vents wide open, a small amount of dry splits right on the sand, add some crumbled newspaper on top of the wood, light the paper. Then add firewood as needed.
    Watch the disc air vents as the fire gets going. The Tempwood stove can really get going with a dry fuel load if the vents are left open.
  8. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    Our chimney is 15 feet high. THe temp outside was just a hair warmer than it was in the house too. There may have also been a clothes dryer running in the next room as well. No, it was not very windy outside. I was thinking that maybe there was some kind of negative vaccum going on. I left the doors to the house open for a little while and then it seemed to get a better draft going. I really appreciate the help. You are in Maine? My wife and I are looking at a home in Stetson, ME. Is that a nice area? How do you like Maine? Thanks again. Neil V.
  9. nosaudioil

nosaudioil Member

Loc:
    coastal ME
    Yes I live in mid-coast Maine. Not my whole life yet.
    Stetson, Maine is a nice little town in central Maine.
    Why Stetson? Only kidding!
  10. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Aside from other conditions which may affect the draft, a cold chimney will have NO draft. This is why, in spite of recomendations to the contrary from some board members, I start with a BUNCH of newspapers, crumbled loosely.

This gives me a quick start and gets the draft moving.
  11. Neil-V1

Neil-V1 New Member

Loc:
    Thanks for the help again.