Ten Paces and Fire, Oslo vs Fireview Duel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
I have had a weekend with burning in the Fireview, a good range of weather as well.

I must say hard to say. Not sure a whole weekend can be the whole story, however I believe the fireview will say in the starting gig.

The Jotul is great to look at, easy to run, easy to take care of, capable of easy over night burns, gobs of heat, great view of the fire, what more could you ask of a stove.

The Fireview while I always though as very ornate, in person weren't as over the top. good to look at, easy to run, hair more difficult to take care of, the burn times are simply impressive, i now understand the soft heat, but is still capable of sweating you out of the room. a somewhat decent view of the fire.

My decision came down to this. I wanted a stove up in my main area that going to be running nearly all the time, to be easy to use, long burns without me fiddling with the thing, obviously heat the main floor well. so far the burn times are easy 2-3-4 hours longer, depending on the fuel and over all length of burn.

not to banish the jotul. No rather she is getting a more traditional style, but brand new just for her type of spot. i will call on her when mother natures winds carry the coldest of days our way. and when the wife says it cold....

Pictures are coming...looks as if ill be re reading posting pictures again.

I think that's a wise choice. Those long cat burns and even heat will serve you well on the main floor. The Jotul will work well for the basement giving you a little quicker output when you need it. Keep us posted, sounds like you should be plenty warm this Winter.

One has to admit you have two great stoves there Stump. May that Fireview serve you as well as ours does for us.

3 stoves in one year...or two heating seasons, i blame this place mostly.
However if i never would have come here id still be freezing burning a vogelzang insert.

Sorry about the pictures they are coming, i never remember how i resize them. However when i do, i will add some more specific differences between the two.

The choice boiled down to length of heat, or burn times, and to be honest its so heavy i didnt want to fight it again....

Stump_Branch said:
However if i never would have come here id still be freezing burning a vogelzang insert.

Sorry about the pictures they are coming, i never remember how i resize them. However when i do, i will add some more specific differences between the two.

The choice boiled down to length of heat, or burn times, and to be honest its so heavy i didnt want to fight it again....

Four stove, four years!

How hot did you get the Fireview and how did the heat compare to the Jotul. We had pretty mild weather over the weekend, so it is probably hard to tell at this point.

I suspect that the Fireview puts out as much heat as the Heritage since they both have comparable firebox sizes. But I can only do a hot burn on the Heritage for about 5 hours. If I keep it at a lower burn, 7 hours with enough coals to restart.

BrowningBAR said:
Stump_Branch said:

Four stove, four years!

How hot did you get the Fireview and how did the heat compare to the Jotul. We had pretty mild weather over the weekend, so it is probably hard to tell at this point.

I suspect that the Fireview puts out as much heat as the Heritage since they both have comparable firebox sizes. But I can only do a hot burn on the Heritage for about 5 hours. If I keep it at a lower burn, 7 hours with enough coals to restart.

Last night got it up to 600, id say easy but im still learning the thing. Running it is almost like running an old smokedragon to start, then engage cat and i dont have to touch it for hours. The tube stoves i found a bit more learning involved with getting repeatable good clean burns.

I like how i can dial it in. The heat is close to the same. A hair of a nod to the jotul here. However interestingly i think due to the length of burn i was able to get with the fireview, the back rooms were warmer...soapstone and cat i assume play a role in that.

Yes i fear i never got to push either of them as truly cold weather isnt here.

I can say so far noticed the fireview seems to use less wood for similar heat output. Have not confirmed this but smaller firebox, longer burns makes sense.

The Jotul

and the fireview

Attachments

• jotul1.jpg
    jotul1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 334
  • fireview1.jpg
    fireview1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 330
After burning for a bit longer I may be able to give some more insight.

The oslo was great for coming home after work pitching in some nice north south splits a super cedar or similar firestarter, east west logs on top and some sticks. Id have heat in no time. id burn it hot to get the temps up and reload on a semi decent bed of coals. it sure could sweat you out of the room. was easy to get up to temps and would hold a good full load of wood for an easy 8 hours. I love the cast stove look. it has what they term gothic styling and it is very eye catching with a load of good wood and secondaries. I actually miss seeing it up on the hearth. I liked the two doors. never used the front unless cleaning or starting, other wise the side door was all you need. fit my setup as the wood door is off to the left.

The fireview was a bit of a surprise. I haven't had the chance to be around a soapstone stove before and I must say I like the way it feels. But I will also say that it takes noticably more time to get the nice warm heat out. but once going its hard to stop. you can wake up after a medium load over night burn with nearly no coals left and its still above 200. The cat I find, and I await some comments, actually easier to use than getting a GOOD secondary burn. not saying one is better here, but after a certain temp, dial the air down, flip the cat, its done. no more fiddling with it. I miss the jotul in part to just being able to toy with the thing. I don't get that with the fire view, which for where it sits I honestly want. I just want it to burn for a long time and not have to keep going over to it to check. (i still do i have a flu probe, and other various thermos just because) The burn times have made me a believer in cat stoves.

I wish they made the oslo with a cat, with the fire box size, durability, quality and looks, she could use the extra 3-4 hours I get with the fireview. at the same time I wish that the fire view was bigger and the had the actual view of the fire of the oslo.

Id wish for the quick heat of cast iron but the heat retention of soapstone, but I won't try to bend the laws of the universe in this thread.

Stump_Branch said:
The Jotul

and the fireview

You need to to see the BTUs that come off of you when you look at the OSLO'S Beauty

The way I see it Stump, is you are in a very advantageous position. Most of us who have the Oslo wish they could get a longer burn time. I would guess those with the fireview wish they could feel the heat quicker. You have the best of both worlds under the same roof. Granted, with two different stoves, but you are sitting pretty IMHO.
Keep the updates coming. I'm interested in cold weather comparisons.

I like the looks of the Fireview on the hearth better than the Oslo. Sounds like your getting pretty familar with your new toy. The Fireview is a very easy stove to operate, what air settings are you burning at? Do you get any heat out of that old fireplace vent or is there a block off plate underneath it?

Stump_Branch said:
After burning for a bit longer I may be able to give some more insight.

The oslo was great for coming home after work pitching in some nice north south splits a super cedar or similar firestarter, east west logs on top and some sticks. Id have heat in no time. id burn it hot to get the temps up and reload on a semi decent bed of coals. it sure could sweat you out of the room. was easy to get up to temps and would hold a good full load of wood for an easy 8 hours. I love the cast stove look. it has what they term gothic styling and it is very eye catching with a load of good wood and secondaries. I actually miss seeing it up on the hearth. I liked the two doors. never used the front unless cleaning or starting, other wise the side door was all you need. fit my setup as the wood door is off to the left.

The fireview was a bit of a surprise. I haven't had the chance to be around a soapstone stove before and I must say I like the way it feels. But I will also say that it takes noticably more time to get the nice warm heat out. but once going its hard to stop. you can wake up after a medium load over night burn with nearly no coals left and its still above 200. The cat I find, and I await some comments, actually easier to use than getting a GOOD secondary burn. not saying one is better here, but after a certain temp, dial the air down, flip the cat, its done. no more fiddling with it. I miss the jotul in part to just being able to toy with the thing. I don't get that with the fire view, which for where it sits I honestly want. I just want it to burn for a long time and not have to keep going over to it to check. (i still do i have a flu probe, and other various thermos just because) The burn times have made me a believer in cat stoves.

I wish they made the oslo with a cat, with the fire box size, durability, quality and looks, she could use the extra 3-4 hours I get with the fireview. at the same time I wish that the fire view was bigger and the had the actual view of the fire of the oslo.

Id wish for the quick heat of cast iron but the heat retention of soapstone, but I won't try to bend the laws of the universe in this thread.

Between the first year and second year with the heritage, I've noticed that I am able to bring it up to temp quicker. Not as quick as the Encore, and definitely not as quick as the single walled Vigilant, but quicker nonetheless.

I, as you mentioned, also find operating a cat to be easier than locking in a good secondary burn on the Heritage.

The fire view on the Encore isn't as interesting as the Heritage is, but with three stoves and the first stove I purchased having no glass, an entertaining view of the fire isn't too important to me.

Blue Vomit said:
The way I see it Stump, is you are in a very advantageous position. Most of us who have the Oslo wish they could get a longer burn time. I would guess those with the fireview wish they could feel the heat quicker. You have the best of both worlds under the same roof. Granted, with two different stoves, but you are sitting pretty IMHO.

Once you're burning 24/7 the delayed heat time on the soapstone doesn't come in to play. But it is a minor concern for me if I move the Heritage to the number three stove as it will be cold-started more often.

Blue Vomit said:

with 125,000 claimed BTUs under the roof I sure hope to heat this place well. I would be sitting even better had I known I was going to have two of them and I would have put more wood up for the winter. Heed not only put wood up years ahead but put up more than enough too.

Todd said:
I like the looks of the Fireview on the hearth better than the Oslo. Sounds like your getting pretty familar with your new toy. The Fireview is a very easy stove to operate, what air settings are you burning at? Do you get any heat out of that old fireplace vent or is there a block off plate underneath it?

I sure have been toying with it. I need to learn just to not touch it and let it do its job.

I burn mostly in and around the one mark most of the time. Lots of rain the past few days so a bit above, colder night goes down just under.

Those old vents never really worked great in the first place, either with a heat robbing monster plain ole fireplace, or when i ran the liner. I disconnected the two little fans in the bottom and used the power from the wall to put a ceiling fan in the room. i had to cut one of the pipes in the center to get the liner through, so other than maybe just natural passive convection...they are just for looks. Which i guess i could have tiled over them too, but i like the "mechanical" look of them with the stove. there is a block off plate there.

BrowningBAR said:
Blue Vomit said:

Once you're burning 24/7 the delayed heat time on the soapstone doesn't come in to play. But it is a minor concern for me if I move the Heritage to the number three stove as it will be cold-started more often.

Ive noticed this around the weekend and now holiday burns, when ill burn more 24/7 ish like in the dead of winter.

I am working on the curve to get it to heat up quick enough. I have been able to get up past the 200 engage mark pretty quickly some times where as others it took a bit longer. both from a cold stove and a warm one.

One a side note, I actually find myself using the fall away handle quite a bit. Im sure its more for the novelty of it right now, but its useful. saves me from making the minor adjustments and having to reglove.

Status
Not open for further replies.