Termination vent codes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bearphishing

Dec 15, 2013
Southeast MA
Hey everybody, I'm new to this site but have been lurking for awhile to decide if I wanted a pellet stove or a wood stove. I believe I made the right choice with a pellet stove and just purchased a Timber Ridge 55 TRP10 off AMFM Energy. I am at the point where I am ready to vent through the wall with my corner installation and have a question about where the termination vent is located in proximity to a window. I am vented 4.5' feet from an adjacent window but around the corner there is a window about 3.5' away. In the manual it is stated that the vent should be no less than 4' from a window but I was curious if a window around a corner still applied?

i have had this same question. even though my vent is 4 feet away and also at least a foot above any window.
the specs in my manual lacked a few words that would have made it crystal clear.
eventually i wrote home and hearth and got an answer (after first being pawned off with "talk to a dealer' and then finally getting an answer)
if you are also the 1 foot above that the manual (mine at least) specifies, the distance from horizontally does not apply.

but ultimately the authority with jurisdiction has the final say.
are you subject to a city inspection? or if you have an insurance inspection, what do they require?
"usually" the specs in the owners manual on a UL approved appliance are considered acceptable
if the manual doesn't specifically state you must be 4 feet away AND 1 foot above, then anywhere outside that box is ok.

though frankly i don't feel the one foot above with just the "one foot horizontally from a non-opening horizontal distance is adequate.
but as far as i can determine, that's what is intended in my manual.

excuse my repetition, but it's up to you to determine which authority has final jurisdiction for you.
if it's installed according to the manufacturer's specs, that is usually good enough for insurance.
our homeowners policy didn't even ask about clearances.

but if your vent is not at least a foot above the windows, then yes, you need to be 4 feet away from any opening window or door. as you say your manual states.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It's more of an insurance concern than anything else. I'm trying to avoid going a foot above the window if possible because it is located right at the front on the side of the home and I am trying to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. The manual doesn't state i have to be 4 feet away AND 1 foot above so I'm thinking I might be alright. I'm waiting on the building inspector to get back to me, but I figured having some input from this forum with past experiences with be helpful.

Reactions: St_Earl
but if you're not a foot above, then you have to be four feet from (or below) any opening door or window.
so strictly speaking, that window around the corner is too close from what you say.

though you could probably be fine. it depends on what kind of inspection your insurance company gives.
we had someone show up and do a walkaround. but we didn't know it at the time/
the only thing they asked when we got a follow up call was about a ramp we have for our cat to a window.
they thought it was for a dog.
we are always here. if the inspector actually measured the distance from the cap to the window, he'd have had to use a ladder and i would have known he was here then.

but again, strictly speaking, the four feet is to any opening window or door. even if it's around a corner. (sounds like our manuals have the same specs)
good luck : )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.