Termite Invasion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haston

Feb 21, 2006
I have about 25 good sized rounds of red oak (30" diameter and larger) that have been sitting in my English Ivy (sadly) for a year. For a variety of reasons, I let them sit too long and when I split the one closest to my house today, I unearthed a nice colony tiny white larva, which I assume to be termites. My question: have I allowed the wood to ruin? or should I proceed with all due haste and split the rest and set them on racks back in the woods and hope they'll dry out and de-termite themselves over the next season or two? Can I treat the wood? I do not know how many of the rounds have been invaded, but can only assume that there are others. Anyway, I'm looking for some informed opinions here. Thanks in advance. H.
P.S. I apologize to anyone scandalized that I allowed oak to fester in this fashion.

I'm glad you asked this! I want to know too.

We got a load of cut but not split wood delivered and we noticed when we started splitting that a few pieces has ants in them. I'm super scared about having my house eaten away. Is it safe to bring this wood inside to burn? Should we quarantine or get rid of the infested logs? Can we stack it all, cover it with a tarp and bug bomb the whole stack? Or is this a normal occurrence that isn't a problem?

Number one on the termites. The "larve" isn't termites. Termites live in the ground and commute to work daily to the wood.

Number two on the ants. Ants live in dark moist places. Split the stuff, stack it and they are out of there looking for a new condo. In fact split it, leave it overnight before you stack it and they will be gone if it isn't real wet around there. And probably even if it is.

Just split it and stack it, as it dries the bugs will move out or die. If you feel you need to spray it try Sevin. Its not going to be burnable this year as its to late to dry it by next year it will be fine and the bugs will be gone. ( BTW termites live under ground not in wood. )

Split it up and stack it loosely. let it dry out.
Ants & termites like wet or damp wood. Once you split their home up, they will be heading for the fields, woods, etc to find a new home.
I see them here and there in loads I have delivered. By end the time I get to burning the wood, they are long gone.

Nevermind, I was too damn slow :)

Never seen any bugs in pellets..... Just kidding. If you bring in the wood as you burn there should be no problems with the ants. Eric

Thanks for the advice. I did misspeak in my original post bv describing the bugs as "larva". They were indeed walking and moving bugs/termites, albeit small and white. They did disappear overnight, so I assume they went back underground, or to a new round. I'll probably chase them from round to round over the next few weeks. Thanks again.

As stated splitting and air drying the wood should suffice. But subterranean termites can and do live in wood, but need contact with the soil, ie mud tubes. But on the other hand dry wood termites do not need soil contact and can live in the wood exclusively.

Often, I see suggestions of spraying the wood with an insecticides such as sevin. IMHO I would disagree with that option. You are then going to put that product in your stove and burn it. I am not an organic follower per se but do believe in utilizing pesticides only when necessary, and then with extreme caution and only as recommended on the label. I agree with Hogwildz and Smokey, that splitting, stacking, and drying should suffice. I always feel you should keep all your wood stored outside except for what you will be burning over the next few days. Should any insects remain in your wood, they should be very sluggish from prolonged exposure to cold and not be a problem in the short period of time in your home before becoming fuel for your stove themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.