Termites in Southern Missouri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksks

Oct 16, 2016
SW MO
I've recently moved to Southern MO and am new to wood burning.

I'm trying to develop a plan where I have 10 cord stacked and available.

The stack is at the edge of the woods. I'm stacking on wood pallets.

The neighbors had termites years ago. The previous owners of my house had Ortex lay down a termite barrier at the house, 100 feet from the wood pile.

How much do folks worry about termites getting into the wood pile?

Should I have a termite barrier put around the perimeter of my wood pile?

Thanks.

None , limit ground contact , termites take years to establish any sizable colony. If you’re pile is relatively close to woods they would much rather munch on downed wet decomposing trees . No worries for you

"How much do folks worry about termites getting into the wood pile?"

I am also in southern Missouri. Welcome.

We never worry about termites. What is the point of worrying about the inevitable? They form a considerable portion of the btu value of my firewood. I suppose you could go to the expense of treating for termites, but it seems rather extreme. How long do you expect the firewood to be out there before use?

Pallets are handy if you have them. Here in Missouri we have plenty of cedar trees and I just cut poles and stack on them. My oak and hickory will season for three years before I use it, so I have four to six cords on hand most of the time. Honestly, there are other boring insects which will infest stacked and dry oak more severely than termites within that time frame. It helps not to reuse the same spot for subsequent stacks for a few years.[/QUOTE]

Termites can only get in to wood that is wet.
If your wood is off the ground and dry, under cover, no termites.

I'd favor termites over termiticides, except near the house. On wood pallets, or some means of up off the ground, I wouldn't expect a lot of problems. Especially if you burn oak.

Thanks guys for the responses. I feel better about that.
It will be up on pallets. It is almost all oak.
My goal would be to get 10 cord and rotate/use about 3+ per year.

Now to scrounge the wood. I have two cords so far. I'm taking a few trees down in my yard, maybe some in the neighbors, but...
As I've been driving around I've been noticing more cut piles out in the pastures. Looks like I'll be knocking on some doors.

Any one have luck on contacting tree services, or ones who cut for the county/utilities? I assume everyone hits them up.

Thanks again,

ksks

Thanks guys for the responses. I feel better about that.
It will be up on pallets. It is almost all oak.
My goal would be to get 10 cord and rotate/use about 3+ per year.

Now to scrounge the wood. I have two cords so far. I'm taking a few trees down in my yard, maybe some in the neighbors, but...
As I've been driving around I've been noticing more cut piles out in the pastures. Looks like I'll be knocking on some doors.

Any one have luck on contacting tree services, or ones who cut for the county/utilities? I assume everyone hits them up.

Thanks again,

ksks
Usually tree companies will dump whatever they have for free because it saves them the hassle