Termites/red ants - found a small area possibly attacking my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

Yesterday I found a ~1-2' stretch of very quick moving termites/red ants crawling butted up against my house and concrete foundation. They were heavily infesting the wet mulch that sits right there, but were also crawling up under some siding. I have no known or suspected leaks in that area, so I'd think the area under the siding would be dry.

I sprayed it vigorously with a insert killer/insect guard by Ortho and they all died. I scraped up the area again and sprayed again thoroughly. This morning, I went outside and there appeared to be no living bugs in the vicinity.

Should I be concerned or were they most likely just after the mulch? As a side note, some of my concrete foundation was actually pitted where they were and looked like they were crawling into it - can these guys burrow into concrete?

Not that I know of. I dont think any kind of bug can make a nest and burrow into concrete. Sounds like they were just after that mulch.

If they were going in the house via concrete, they'd need mud tunnels- subterranean termites need to be moist. Though I also thought termites weren't fans of mulch because of the color chemicals.

CJ-SR4ever said:
Not that I know of. I dont think any kind of bug can make a nest and burrow into concrete. Sounds like they were just after that mulch.

Aliens can burrow through concrete . . . but only with their acid-like blood. Of course if the OP has an infestation of Aliens we're all in trouble unless Sigourney Weaver is around.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.