termites

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakatak

Jul 1, 2013
SE Mass.
just started splitting an Oak i took down 6 months ago.. I split a few logs that were full of termites. are these no good now? you think the termites would spread to all logs?

just started splitting an Oak i took down 6 months ago.. I split a few logs that were full of termites. are these no good now? you think the termites would spread to all logs?

I would just make sure to split all of the wood and stack it in a dry location well away from your home (at least 30-40 feet). I had a large (dead) red oak on my property cut down on my property in Aug. 2011, and I cut it up, split and stacked it (about 3-4 cords' worth). I just burned it this past winter and it made wonderful firewood (Sorry Dennis, I know you would have watied at least one more year!). Once I had it split, dried it out, and stacked it up a few inches off the ground, the termites were no longer there.

Dry the wood and they will leave. This kind though I'd make sure to stack well away from buildings.

I would just make sure to split all of the wood and stack it in a dry location well away from your home (at least 30-40 feet). I had a large (dead) red oak on my property cut down on my property in Aug. 2011, and I cut it up, split and stacked it (about 3-4 cords' worth). I just burned it this past winter and it made wonderful firewood (Sorry Dennis, I know you would have watied at least one more year!). Once I had it split, dried it out, and stacked it up a few inches off the ground, the termites were no longer there.
Some things have to remain unsaid around here;lol

I had a load that had termites in it also recently, as in a LOT of termites. I split it separate and away from buildings. It's not much, but it'll get carried into the house a piece at a time straight to the stove. Kind of like it's under quarantine I guess.

Split it, stack it, dry it, burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.