termites

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i know this is off topic but.... i built a platform off the ground for my wood... while doing some demo in my house i discovered termite damage.. it all apears to be old but i have found it in different locations....so anyone have any termite remedies for around the house? also what about my wood? any ways to prevent them from going after my 10x12 platform and staying outta my wood?

You could get one of these critters :)

Attachments

• giant-anteater.jpg
    giant-anteater.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 369
Hope ya used pressure treated for the platform.

Sprinkle some common borax around the perimeter. Safe and effective. You can even mix it up in a sprayer and spray it on the wood.

I like BG's first idea the best...I'd suggest a spayed female...whaddya gonna name her? :lol: Rick

Auntie? I mean, what else could you call her?

BeGreen said:
Sprinkle some common borax around the perimeter. Safe and effective. You can even mix it up in a sprayer and spray it on the wood.

what is borax? is their another name that depo or ace would call it?

I haven't had to use it. We're fortunate to not have run into termites in this house. Vermin yes, but insects, no, except for the support beam sitting in dirt that I did away with. Long ago when I was in a cottage in CT, the problem was carpenter ants. And I admit, the solution at the time was chlorodane. Nasty stuff for sure.

FWIW, I have a friend that used borax and swore by it.

BeGreen said:
Auntie? I mean, what else could you call her?

Mitey? Rick

Maybe, though not her normal feed. But that's better than being called Nosy!

Maybe? As long as they take the granules back to the nest for late night snacks, they're toast. But for the carpenter ants that I had to deal with, the best thing was to use my ears and find out where the main nest was. Once that was located, it was pretty easy to eliminate them.

http://www.safe2use.com/pests/carpenter-ants/ant-carpenter.htm

If I remember correct the ad was for "20 mule team borax" think it as from the 60's to clean the hippies lol.
Don

Oh, you gotta go way back before that. In the 50's, we watched a regular weekly TV show called "Death Valley Days", in black & white, of course, hosted by a crusty coger who called himself "The Old Ranger". 20 Mule Team Borax was the sponsor of that show. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.