Termovar Diverting Valve To Restricting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if my Termovar is restricting flow when all zones are calling for heat. The valve looks to have about a 3/4" opening. I have attached a picture of the circulator header. I do get back flow through the oil boiler

Attachments

• IMG00046-20101221-1501.jpg
    IMG00046-20101221-1501.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 346
What is your Max BTU load for the house? even if it is a 3/4" valve it will still support 20 GPM. But if the restriction through the mixing valve is higher than the restriction through the Oil boiler, so it will draw through it. If its drawing in reverse, you probably need a check valve. I am a plumbing noobie, but if the draw through the oil boiler is correct but unwanted, you effectively need to increase the head loss on the oil side, so the heating favors the temovar valve. A Check valve or a weighted check vakve may create enough head loss to fix your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.