Termovar diverting valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the TTarmbiomass piping per drawing PT1C and using the Termovar Diverting Valve-Part # K6440A3. Running the oil boiler only it seems to want to heat my storage tanks also. I'm not sure why the #3 port is letting the hot water from the oil boiler through or is it suposed to heat the storage also?. I have not fired my solo 60 yet, waiting on flue pipes.

Attachments

• P1010126.jpg
    P1010126.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 848
Briquetmaker said:
I am using the TTarmbiomass piping per drawing PT1C and using the Termovar Diverting Valve-Part # K6440A3. Running the oil boiler only it seems to want to heat my storage tanks also. I'm not sure why the #3 port is letting the hot water from the oil boiler through or is it suposed to heat the storage also?. I have not fired my solo 60 yet, waiting on flue pipes.

ZV-1 is the only thing that would prevent parallel flow thought the storage tanks and the oil boiler.

Perhaps the controls haven't been sorted out yet and ZV-1 is opening incorrectly. Closing either isolation valve on circulator C-1 should cure it until you get it figured out.

Just be sure that C-1 isn't running for the same reason that ZV-1 is open or the C-1 pump motor could get a little warm.

Cheers --ewd

I noticed that ZV-1 is closed and c-1 is not running when the BLT control is in back up only or auto back up. They will come on when you switch to wood only. It does seem to be a wiring thing but not sure. I thought it might be a teperature thing with the valve.

Briquetmaker said:
I noticed that ZV-1 is closed and c-1 is not running when the BLT control is in back up only or auto back up. They will come on when you switch to wood only. It does seem to be a wiring thing but not sure. I thought it might be a teperature thing with the valve.

Then it sounds like everything is A-OK with controls and wiring since you want ZV-1 closed and C-1 not running when the system is heating with oil. And if ZV-1 is closed there should be no path available for the load circulators to be able to push water through storage.

Any time return water from the zones is below 161 degF the diverter TV-2 will open from port 1 to port 3, which will open a path through storage, but only if ZV-1 is open. As far as flow through storage goes, it shouldn't matter what TV-2 does as long as ZV-1 is closed.

--ewd

Briquetmaker said:

When the BLT is set to "back up only" or "auto backup " zv-1 will not open untill your storage is up to temp and trips the back up boiler aquastat, even if your wood boiler is hot enough to provide heat. If you want heat to your zones from the wood boiler before storage is charged the only way is to switch the BLT to "wood only".

Sounds like your system is fine, your just messing with it before its completly up and running, I did the same thing. Also make sure the lever on zv-1 is set to "automatic" not "manual". I had to set mine to manual open to solder it and forgot to switch back to automatic when I finished, the first time my oil burner fired the cold side of the storage started to get hot.

This plumbing set up should work awesome.

I know. I couldn't wait to get it started and see if I had any leaks. Only 2. I'm really not sure if is a problem yet until I fire the wood boiler. I just don't understand the hot water going out of #3 on the diverting valve and to the bottom of the storage tanks. I am probably looking at it to hard and missing something. Would firing the oil boiler only would not have an impact on the Loading unit?

Briquetmaker said:
I just don't understand the hot water going out of #3 on the diverting valve and to the bottom of the storage tanks. I am probably looking at it to hard and missing something. Would firing the oil boiler only would not have an impact on the Loading unit?

TV-2 is configured as a thermostatic diverting valve. Flow enters port 1 and exits port 2 and goes back through the radiant loads if the water is above about 72 degC , or it exits port 3 if below about 72 degC. From port 3 it can enter the storage tank cold manifold at point 'cold Y' and can flow through the tanks and exit the storage tank hot manifold at point 'hot Y'. From there is flows through ZV-1 and C-1 back to the radiant load supply side, through the loads, and back to the load circulators.

Except when the the system is using the oil boiler for heat, then ZV-1 and C-1 should be deactivated, so there can be no flow through port 3, the tanks, and then ZV-1. You say that ZV-1 and C-1 are indeed deactivated when the system is set to auto and the wood side is cold or the controller is set to oil-only, so is sounds like everything is behaving as designed.

Unless ZV-1 is de-energized and it is still flowing (assuming it is a normally closed valve). That would be incorrect behavior on the part of ZV-1, not the system design or its implementation.

Cheers --ewd

I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to compliment you on your boiler room. Very nice professional looking job!

Thanks for the compliment. It was a lot of fun when I started. As you can see in the begining picture thats as far as my plumber took it. Left me hanging so I took on the whole thing.I don't think my shoulders can take threading or tightening another pipe.
It has taken about 4 weeks to do so far.

Attachments

• Boiler room begining.jpg
    Boiler room begining.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 477
Threading 1 1/4 pipe by hand is for sure a lot of work, it looks from the photo you did a nice job. Don't judge the schematic untill its done and running. The guys at Tarm USA know their stuff. You will be pleased. My pumps are on the return side also, it makes no difference.

Dave B said:
Briquetmaker said:

When the BLT is set to "back up only" or "auto backup " zv-1 will not open untill your storage is up to temp and trips the back up boiler aquastat, even if your wood boiler is hot enough to provide heat. If you want heat to your zones from the wood boiler before storage is charged the only way is to switch the BLT to "wood only".

Sounds like your system is fine, your just messing with it before its completly up and running, I did the same thing. Also make sure the lever on zv-1 is set to "automatic" not "manual". I had to set mine to manual open to solder it and forgot to switch back to automatic when I finished, the first time my oil burner fired the cold side of the storage started to get hot.

This plumbing set up should work awesome.

oops, I was wrong. When the BLT is set to "backup only" zv-1 should never open.

It's hard to think of my old oil burner as a back up and the new wood boiler as the main source of heat, but thats how they do it. It just seems wrong.

FWIW, i have the same controls as you have(I think anyways). Controls have worked as mentioned. TARM was good to deal with, which they should be, not cheap controls. BLT works fine.

Did have a ghost flow problem between wood boiler and house when it was heating the house off of the storage. Was back flowing thru loading valve. My wood boiler is 100ft from storage/house. Worked many hours with Tarm. Ended up putting a zone valve in my boiler room. Only opens up when the boiler runnning. Trust me we checked everything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.