Termovar Loading Unit Ghost Flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have a simple question, please help me.

Does a LK 810 Termover Loading Unit prevent ghost flows through a boiler when it is cold? I am using the attached piping diagram. Trying to figure out how water is prevented from flowing through the cold boiler when the storage is fully charged and a zone calls for heat.

Attachments

• Innova diagram 2.pdf
    564.5 KB · Views: 261
I think so, yes. Mine doesn't seem to have much if any through it when the fire goes out & boiler cools.

I think when the water cools below 140, the thermostat will act to allow water to flow around the bypass rather than from bottom of storage - thereby preventing much water coming from storage until the temp gets up above 140 again.

I have a termovar loading valve. Had a ghost flow when boiler was not running. Anytime the circulators were running in house, it ghost flowed into boiler(100ft away in another building). Unit was installed per Tarms diagrams. Spent a lot of time with Tarm on the phone. took pictures and everything. Sent me a new (old style) loading valve. Still did it. Ended up putting a zone valve in boiler room. Opens when boiler is running.

Mine's an LK810. I usually light when storage is something like 120 at bottom, at which point my boiler is usually below 100. On days when there's not much heat being used & my storage stays hot, the boiler still is down that low. I don't know - maybe I've got some, but if I do, it's not much.

I think I have a simple question, please help me.

Does a LK 810 Termover Loading Unit prevent ghost flows through a boiler when it is cold? I am using the attached piping diagram. Trying to figure out how water is prevented from flowing through the cold boiler when the storage is fully charged and a zone calls for heat.
The loading unit basically functions as a three way valve. Depending on how tight the valve closes, there may be a little ghost flow, but like another post states, I don't think there is any harm. The boiler cools down in any case when it's not burning and has to come back up to temperature before it allows any significant return flow from the storage system to enter the boiler. There is no perfect solution to creosote. Every time the unit drops below 140 it will generate some creosote as it heats the water until it gets the boiler chamber and all metal parts, tubes, flues, etc, above 140. All these controls, the dryness of the wood you burn, how you burn your fire on startup, are just trying to minimize this effect.

FWIW, I heat my DHW in the summer months. Usually go 3 or 4 days on one fire. Got a significant ghost flow for all the days it did not burn( the firebox was very warm). Like I posted, spent alot of time with Lyme N.H. Did not stop until I put the zone valve in. No biggie, now I'm looking back on it. problem solved.

Flyingcow, exactly where in your plumbing did you place the zone valve and what do you have it wired to to open and close it?

Mike

My boiler is next door. The zone valve is in that room. I think it's on my return line from house. Where's it's wired? Not sure, but when i switch the boiler on, it opens. Sorry not much help.

Status
Not open for further replies.