Termovar valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I posted a while back about my Termovar valve that I think is not working properly. I took it apart, cleaned it and did the test on the stove. I t seems to open and close at the proper temps. But I am still getting water moving before it reaches 140.

So my question is can it be getting weak and wearing out without actually failing allowing water to flow prematurely?

It's 4 years old and so far it's been spot on.

If you should have to get a replacement from Bio Heat the do have new heavy graphite gaskets for the Termovar unions as replacements for the original paper ones. I think they recommend wiping petroleum jelly on them before install...
Weird about thermostat. Usually they stick one way or the other.....

Good to know about the gaskets. Yea this thing is odd, like the spring is weak and letting water passed or weak and not shutting all the way. I guess I'll just need to swap it out and see.

Cold temps tonight, It'll be cranking tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.