Terra cotta thimble diameter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pm01

Feb 8, 2008
VA
I had a chimney sweep replace a broken terra cotta thimble. I didn't measure the inner diameter of the old thimble, but it was a close fit around a 6" stove pipe. The replacement thimble has an inner diameter of maybe 6 3/8" (not sure of the exact size), which is a very loose fit around a 6" stove pipe. Can this new thimble be made to work safely with a wood stove using a 6" stove pipe, or do I now have the wrong size thimble installed?

Thanks for your help.

Try this: Place a short (no greater than the thickness of the opening) piece of female pipe into the thimble. Follow with a section (same length) of pipe with male crimps at both ends These can be purchased, but can also be made with a crimper. The double ended pipe goes into the female pipe.This should provide a good tight fit, especially with heavier gauge pipe. Keep an eye on it for movement, but this should work fine.

I am pretty sure you fill up the gap with some mortar or stove cement. I would rather have a little extra room that have to jam the pipe in there myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.