Terracotta Flue Crumbling - Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgul

Dec 5, 2011
Eastern PA
So I ordered my Hearthstone Heritage and while getting the chimney checked out prior to installation it was discovered that the terracotta flue that extends out of my roof is falling apart. It is only 8 years old but never had a cap so I imagine that's why it's gone to sh*t so fast? See pictures in the link below. So now I need to get this fixed, does anyone have any suggestions? Do I just cut the part out that's above the roof-line and replace it with another 12x12 terracotta piece and then cap it like it should of been all along? Thanks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/colorin/DropBox?authuser=0&feat=directlink

That is shot alright. Did you have the flue inspected when it was cleaned to ascertain the condition of the rest of the tiles? If there are other problems, a full insulated liner will be in order in addition to replacing the top tile.

I didn't sadly, I had a chimney sweep clean it but they didn't inspect the top (stupid yeah). I found the problem when I got a ladder and went up there to measure the flue for a cap on the liner that I'm going to order. I picked out a smooth 6inch by 35ft liner from Rockford Chimney Supply, I wasn't going to insulate it initially but I think I will now. Can I cut out that whole top section and replace it?

That is just flat strange. A cap would have made no difference in that defective tile. If the rest are OK a mason can replace the top one fairly easily. If they are all defective then ya break'em all out and put in a poured in place or insulated liner.

I just got off the phone with a chimney inspector and he said from my description it'd cost 400-500 to take out that top piece and replace it. I told him I'm putting in a wood-burning stove with an insulated liner and he said to not even bother then, just caulk it to the terracotta and be done with it. I'm definitely going with an insulated liner so I think I'll do my best to attach the top plate to the terracotta (other 3 corners aren't as bad) and then to the insulated liner. Yeah I thought it was very very odd for it to go to crap so quickly. :-/ I have 3 flues up there and the other flue from my master bedroom is also cracking but not nearly as much (rarely use it). The chimney inspector said that it's not unheard of that that happens at the top upper-most part, the rest is usually fine. Hopefully the insulated liner will square things up and solve the problem.

BrotherBart said:
That is just flat strange. A cap would have made no difference in that defective tile. If the rest are OK a mason can replace the top one fairly easily. If they are all defective then ya break'em all out and put in a poured in place or insulated liner.
+1
Yep that is a defective tile, I'd be worried the rest may also be defective too. Can you post some pictures of the inside?
It doesn't looked like it is flashed on the roof properly either.

This picture has me curious as to what the roofing material is. That crack looks like it might be concrete???
photo%25202.JPG

I had to replace one of mine that did that. It was only the top and the rest were fine. I went to a local brick yard and bought a new one, the old one will bust out pretty easily, then just slap a little mortar on the joint and slide the new one in place.

Yeah not sure what that is, first time I've ever been on my roof. lol I updated new pictures of the inside, it seems so-so, any cracks you see are pretty much in that upper area that is above the roofline. I can take some more pictures when I get home. The question I have now is will a liner address my issue or do I need to start replacing stuff?

I would do like Todd did. Since that tile supports the liner. Or do what some do and bust off the tile even with the chimney crown. That way the top plate can be sealed well to the crown. Gonna be hard to get a good seal on that tile.

Carbon_Liberator said:
This picture has me curious as to what the roofing material is. That crack looks like it might be concrete???

That's not the roof. It's the chimney crown.

Ok, yeah that sounds like a good idea. Either replace it or bust it out and attach from there. I'm looking at liners now, thinking of going with a Flex King Pro, 6x30 along with an insulation kit.

Nazgul said:
Ok, yeah that sounds like a good idea. Either replace it or bust it out and attach from there. I'm looking at liners now, thinking of going with a Flex King Pro, 6x30 along with an insulation kit.

I can recommend the materials from Rockford Chimney. I posted a thread of stuff I learned doing mine: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85863/

The kit was complete and clearly labelled. I'd highly recommend watching the videos on their site.

FYI: I can see the cement ooze between your tiles. Be ready for that to be a pain in your rear installing the new liner.

There should be a supplier of terra cotta flue pieces near you, I would guess. Replacing the top tile would not be too difficult if you're a modestly handy type. I haven't done much chinney work but have made concrete repairs; with respect to the masons out there, it's concrete. You're not rebuilding the Parthenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.