Test Burn in Orange County (w/ Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
My stove has been running on and off for the past couple of days (starting to get a little nippy at night). I'm curious to see if the additional insulation I installed in the attic will make a difference in the number of pellets I'll be using this season (Went from R30 to R60).

Attachments

• Pellet Stove First Burn 09 - 2.jpg
    Pellet Stove First Burn 09 - 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 504
Looks nice!

Increasing the insulation will probably make a big difference on how hard
you have to run that stove this year. ;-)

Teddy what kind of insulation? Last year I got the pellet stove and blew in 8' to 12' of cellulose insulation in the entire attic area. I don't know what I saved on oil due insulation.
Schoondog

Nice lookin fire in that stove Teddy....with the extra insulation, you'll be toasty warm this winter. :)

schoondog said:
Teddy what kind of insulation? Last year I got the pellet stove and blew in 8' to 12' of cellulose insulation in the entire attic area. I don't know what I saved on oil due insulation.
Schoondog

I have Batt insulation in the attic. The original insulation laid in the attic was R30 (w/vapor barrier) and I laid an additional layer of R30 (w/o vapor barrier) perpendicular to the original insulation. I also included an Attic cap over the attic stairs. My wife already said she does not feel the draft that she felt last year.

xbillyx said:
My flame is always lazy and very small. I am running on the lowest heat setting (1 of 6). Any ideas?

I run mine at a medium-high setting (@ a 4).

THE ROOSTER said:
Nice looking fire Teddy, is that a battery backup on the left of the stove???
Yep, that's my backup (http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254538055&sr=1-9). I've tested it before and I can run the stove for about 45 minutes on the battery backup. I also have a small generator (http://www.amazon.com/TG1200-Portab...ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254538178&sr=8-6) that I use if I need power for longer than 45 minutes. I actually used this generator this summer when we lost power in our area for 6 hours. It ran for 6 hours on 3 gallons of gas. I plugged the UPS into the generator and plugged the various devices (i.e., entertainment system, kids games system, etc.) into the UPS. The UPS actually regulates and "cleans" the power so it doesn't damage the devices.

Nice Teddy - I like your pellet bucket/scoop.

Cheers

Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.