test in progress.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
i've scored a IR Laser Thermometer (Raytek Minitemp) from the mechanics at work...

i am testing the Condar Chimgard Magnetic thermometer for accuracy, testing my stove top temps, stove pipe temps, and wall temps....

right now, got the fire started and put 2 logs in, been about 30-40 mins from lighting....

flue temps- 356 on gun/ 375 on thermo

stove top temp- 640

wall temps- highest is 142 most in the 130's

it's also 84 ---10 feet away from the stove in the same room.... started at 67

Sounds like fun! I'll put the laser on my bosses chest and say, "-60° Damn you are a cold hearted SOB..." What do you have the emissivity set to? It's different for black plate steel verses a white sheet rock and can give inaccurate readings if your gun isn't properly set.

R&D;Guy said:
Sounds like fun! I'll put the laser on my bosses chest and say, "-60° Damn you are a cold hearted SOB..." What do you have the emissivity set to? It's different for black plate steel verses a white sheet rock and can give inaccurate readings if your gun isn't properly set.

don't think i can change this gun... it has no visible settings

about 1 hr in...threw another log 3 total plus starter splits and turned the air control to about 50%

stove pipe- 330 on gun/ 325ish on thermo

stove top- about 580ish peaked at 604

walls peaked at 148 most in the 140 range

dry wall right around ceiling box is at 118

hearth pad (natural stone) 105.....which blows my mind... in my hearth pad development i thought i needed soooo much R value... so far it's the coolest part of my set up!!

slight smoke out the the stack too.... not much though

Well it should give you a pretty good idea of what the temps are anyway. The IR gun reads temperatures based on thermal radiation and everything from glass, to plate steel, to wood, to sheet rock emit a different amount at the same temp. Adjusting the emissivity to the specific material is like focusing a pair of binoculars.

Yeah the big deal with the hearth pad is a charcoal test you have to run when certifying the stove, and for hot coals or a piece of wood that falls out of your stove. Thank NFPA for the big hearth everyone has.

trailblaze said:
about 1 hr in...threw another log 3 total plus starter splits and turned the air control to about 50%

stove pipe- 330 on gun/ 325ish on thermo

stove top- about 580ish peaked at 604

walls peaked at 148 most in the 140 range

dry wall right around ceiling box is at 118

hearth pad (natural stone) 105.....which blows my mind... in my hearth pad development i thought i needed soooo much R value... so far it's the coolest part of my set up!!

slight smoke out the the stack too.... not much though

Off topic, are you engaging the damper? It seems to me that 330 stack temp is low for everburn to work. Also, unless you're running wide open why reload so soon?

well i was running wide open for the first bit, i've slowed the burn/ air down and it's just a nice little warm fire now...

dampner is open... i know i need to heat this puppy up before the everburn will work...

I just looked at DW 2478 manual & (unless I am reading it wrong) it tells to have 20" clearance with single pipe. I think you said your distance was 15".

20 inches is for a flat wall install... i'm more in a corner... it says 15.5 inches i'm at 14.5, now if u add flue collars and other shields it can drop to 7.5 inches...

heres a few shots of my corner install with just a flue collar.... and i KNOW the wood shouldn't be there, but it's only about 95 degrees, the kindling stuff is about 105...

HPIM2659.gif

HPIM2658.gif

HPIM2657.gif

HPIM2482.jpg

Looks like it's warm enough there to be melting the Werthers. :)

Where did you get the highest temp readings on the wall?

ok, about 2 hours into it...

opened the air control.... threw another log... trying to heat this place up for test purposes...

flue 413

stove top 730

walls are reaching 155-165ish

room is 93

Whats that wall temp calculation again? 115 degrees over ambient room temp??

Should i be worried at 165?

trailblaze said:

opened the air control.... threw another log... trying to heat this place up for test purposes...

flue 413

stove top 730

room is 93

Man!!! Is your stove really cooking! how open is your air flow now!i assume the damper is now closed.

air flow was about 25% open.... dampener still open...just loaded another log and i just closed it to see what happens

seems like the everburn is going... it's rumbling nicely... and once and a while a little cloud of fire rolls around towards the top

trailblaze said:

flue 413

stove top 730

room is 93

I always consider ambient room temp as 68-70 degrees. I think you still have some room.

myzamboni said:
trailblaze said:

flue 413

stove top 730

room is 93

I always consider ambient room temp as 68-70 degrees. I think you still have some room.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

93!!!! I hope you computer is in a different room!!

Looking like a thumbs up for your downdraft stove.The only downside i can see to your stove and mine is that it takes sometime from a cold start to get enough hot coals to get the secondary burn cranking.but on the positive side!long hot burn times come after.

Someone suggested a pipe shield, but I say just replace your single was with double wall (can't be too much $$) & you will sleep well all winter long (93* smokes that is warm!!)

trailblaze said:
Diabel said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

93!!!! I hope you computer is in a different room!!

nope!! sitting here in my underwear... nice thought huh

Get that double pipe...or you will be replacing your computer fan soon :lol:

Time to shut her down, the walls are getting too warm. Seems like a wall shield is in order.

Can you be more specific about the location of the temperature readings in relation to the stove? It would also be good to have specific distances listed so that other CDW owners can assess their options for corner installations.

BeGreen said:
Time to shut her down, the walls are getting too warm. Seems like a wall shield is in order.

Can you be more specific about the location of the temperature readings in relation to the stove? It would also be good to have specific distances listed so that other CDW owners can assess their options for corner installations.

Thank you BD I was about to say that...

93* & no everburn/secondaries I still can not believe it...how big is the room?

Diabel said:
BeGreen said:

Thank you BD I was about to say that...

93* & no everburn/secondaries I still can not believe it...how big is the room?

well room is about 15x14... i have the dampener closed... it's glowing nicely... but i'm shuttin it down

BeGreen said:

the walls are hottest ( 183) near the level where the top of the side load door is and slightly upwards, but once i clear the stove height and just follow the stove pipe... they drop to 130's by the ceiling

the left side rear corner is 14.5 inches to the wall.... as you can see in the pics, the left side only is closest to the wall at the rear most left side...

going straight out the back and from the right corner i'm at 21" -18" from the top/ rear edge of the stove top, now as it goes to the right side the rear heat shield get closer by 2-3 inches... but the wall back there peaked about the same height as the left side but at 174 degrees....

Status
Not open for further replies.