Test: Why wouldnt secondary burn tubes work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
You have a stove. Its 5 years old, and the secondary burn system appears not to be working. The flames lick right around the baffle and the wood burns up super fast. For some reason the ash grate has bowed up and needs replacing. Whats wrong with this stove?
it was obvious to me, but not so obvious to the stove manufacture.

MountainStoveGuy said:
You have a stove. Its 5 years old, and the secondary burn system appears not to be working. The flames lick right around the baffle and the wood burns up super fast. For some reason the ash grate has bowed up and needs replacing. Whats wrong with this stove?
it was obvious to me, but not so obvious to the stove manufacture.

Ash grate bowed up ? Ash pan door being used for drafting fires ? or ash pan w/ bad gasket ? What model ?

so simple right?
so why did he order new burn tubes and ash grate per the manufacturs recommendation? Guy comes in with part numbers in hand, orders the parts, the parts dont fix the problem, and guess whos want to return everything.
It was simply a bad ash pan gasket.

MountainStoveGuy said:
so simple right?
so why did he order new burn tubes and ash grate per the manufacturs recommendation? Guy comes in with part numbers in hand, orders the parts, the parts dont fix the problem, and guess whos want to return everything.
It was simply a bad ash pan gasket.

Seems he thinks you are too stupid to know better. The tech from the company read him the screen response. That was the law. Wouldn't trust your opinion. Let him buy the parts and take his money. When he comes in and asks why you didn't tell him your opinion, you can say, "You didn't think my opinion was worth asking for." Got your nickel, stupid bunny got his parts. Everyone is satisfied, except your guilt in not wasting your time trying to set him straight.

I didnt want to mention any names, and i had a hard time believing something so simple would be missed by the manufacture. Turns out with a little research that it was someone at work that miss diagnosed the problem, and described the problem inacuratly to the manufactre. But, this is a good time of year to check your gaskets, and dont forget the ashpan gasket!!
this was on a Hearthstone Homestead.

Status
Not open for further replies.