Test your tree id skills.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
These two trees are very easy to tell apart if you can see more than the bark. Looking at the bark only at a distance I am often fooled because they have a somewhat similar look. These particular two are growing 30' apart at about 2300' in Vermont.
IMGP9736.JPG IMGP9735.JPG

The first two responses are correct.

The giveaway is the horizontal lines (transverse lenticels) on the cherry bark.

Ah, give us some more. They were too easy!:rolleyes:

Red spruce to be exact. Guess the close ups were too easy. In log form at 20 yards a cherry often looks like spruce to me, unless the cut end is visible.

Let me see...2300'...the highest elevation in Adirondack grid is Whiteface right? and thats at around 4800. So 2300 would be medium hill, low mountain elevation.
Uh...where am I going with this? Spruce growing with black cherry.
Its interesting how Soil & Water can map soil types and elevations and then tell you what species grow where.
Im at 314' and have tons of Black Cherry. But not one spruce. Sorry...thinking out loud.

Well, one can make a hair brush out of some pine cones....:rolleyes:

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Been fooled a few times from a distance pulling up to wood in the compost site, gettin' excited thinking it's Cherry only to see on closer inspection it's Pine.

Yes, I know, wood snob...but it is SO EASY to be one here in PA. fellas! ::-) :cool: ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.