Testing chainsaw chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I love this site and the people on it. Thanks for that!

Those 10-play Labonville chaps are the same ones I have. Part of me says 'overkill', but another part of me says 'if that saw blade actually comes after your legs, you'll be wishing you had 20 ply'.

smokinjay said:
Chains breaks or flys off.
It seems like cutting 'one handed' is just asking for something bad to happen, but I've (luckily?) never had a chain come off, much less break. Yikes! I can see improper chain tension letting it come off, but what sort of thing causes them to break?

Adabiviak said:
Those 10-play Labonville chaps are the same ones I have. Part of me says 'overkill', but another part of me says 'if that saw blade actually comes after your legs, you'll be wishing you had 20 ply'.

smokinjay said:
Chains breaks or flys off.
It seems like cutting 'one handed' is just asking for something bad to happen, but I've (luckily?) never had a chain come off, much less break. Yikes! I can see improper chain tension letting it come off, but what sort of thing causes them to break?

Many chains I've seen have been sharpened too deep into the tie straps, or run dry or in the dirt too long, & the rivets or straps fail under load & the chain breaks. If the chain catcher isn't where it should be stuff can get ugly quick. Long heavy chains, i.e. 3/8 & .404 pitch 24" & longer can sling like a mother. Been slapped a time or two myself, & glad I was wearing PPE. A C

I've tossed a chain more than once by cutting an elevated log and right when you get through it the log drags or pushes the chain on the bottom of the bar right off. Chain catchers are a must on any saw I use!

That pair of chaps is just like mine. Wish I had owned them when Old Yaller put me in the emergency room looking at the bone in my left leg. I won't even tune a saw without them on anymore.

I would feel really stupid if I got whacked with the chaps sitting in the shop.

Glad they stopped it guy.

I get a little heat for being "Safety Man" with power tools and always wear ear, eye and chaps protection when I use my saw. I am going to look into the glves now too. Where are you buying the gloves and what is a "Chain Catcher"? I think I need one or need to know if my saw has one?

For the record my saw is a Husqvarna 350 with and 18" bar that was bought new two years ago? ANyone know if they have a chain catcher on them?

Bob Urban

Bob, what saw are you using? Most new ones have a chain catcher as far as I know. Some older saws can have it added for under 5 bucks. Really old saws don't have anything of the sort!

Bob,

I chose the chainsaw gloves from Forester for $20.00
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Forester+Chainsaw+Gloves

There are seveal places that make chainsaw gloves, but most only have the chain stopping material in the left hand.
These have it in both gloves.
Better? I don't know, but why not since I'm wearing them anyway...

They fit and feel just like the leather gloves with velcro staps that I usually wear.
Be harder to loose them too, being so bright :)

Rob

BobUrban said:
For the record my saw is a Husqvarna 350 with and 18" bar that was bought new two years ago? ANyone know if they have a chain catcher on them?

Bob Urban
Bob, if you take off your clutch cover you should see this on the bottom edge of your saw if it comes stock (I bet it does). If you don't have it, get it. Probably could live without it, but super cheap insurance, IMHO.
http://northwoodsaw.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1122

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this old thread, but it needs to be brought to the top. It's a good safety thread and we seem to need one of those around here lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.