Testing heat output on pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once went 26 bags 30+ days straight on grunge burn in a bucket of parts stove burning $199/ton delivered pellets, just couldn't take the mess I saw in the window so I shut it down and cleaned the pour abused parts collection.
Sib? $199/ton delivered... Mmmm

Support for that please?
Among others: Forestry.edu Firewood Facts. Your own forum, Heating Value of Common Wood Species. There are many more. You'll find I was being somewhat conservative. The Engineering Tool Box - Wood and Combustion Heat Values.

And according to the Georgia Forrestry folks the BTU per pound output of oven dried wood can vary from 8500 to 9500 BTU / pound. According to, among many sources, the Encyclopedia of Alternative Energy, there can be a 1000 BTU per pound variation in pellets; 8500 to 9500. You are quoting laboratory conditions. Even then there are variations. I'm talking actual, retail pellets. We can each support our arguments ad infinitum depending on definition and condition of application.

Freight Train 12, out. ;lol

Roger ball.

I'm burning pellets too no thermometer except the thermostat for the furnace it always reads 75 no matter what pellets I put in the stove?

Little birdie eight six seven five three o nine

Actually this morning I remembered that my first year burning pellets (2011) I got green team pellets at $177/ton at Lowes.
I've pretty much given up on Big Box as pellet suppliers. They can't be depended on to have a good supply throughout the season, they don't maintain a consistent supply from one manufacturer and price isn't that much better than my hardware, if at all. I've found a pellet I like and can get as and when needed for a decent price. I be happy.

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.