Testing of Fireside Ultras and Inferno Golds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
Just finished testing two brands in my Accentra 52i. The FSU's produced good heat but also are the clinker king for the brands I have tested so far. FSU bags had some fines but frankly the 52i chews right through them so I really haven't seen the need to filter or sift them out. The IG's produced more heat and you could easily see that the room temp was maintained with far less flame activity than the FSU's. After the last of the IG's went through the stove, I shut it down and in cleaning I found absolutely no semblance of any clinkers. There were less fines per bag compared to FSU's and the ash produced was similar to the FSU's in quantity but was a little lighter and fluffier.

So far the winner of my unscientific testing is American Wood Products Ultra Wine Pine. Next up in the box are a few bags or TSC North American hardwood/softwood blend and TSC Big Heat, I believe a hardwood pellet.

I have been having problems with fsu. They carbon my p43 so much that after a day or 2 if I don't take a screwdriver and scrape the burn pot it won't light. I took a chunk the size of a half dollar out of the burn pot after I chipped it off. They do put out good heat but not worth the clinkers to me. Had so much hard ash down in the inside of the burn pot I actually had to vacuum it out. Never happened before. So I'm trying to do a 50/50 blend of them and hamers to try and get rid of the fsu. Only thing that sucks is no one around here has a decent pellet for a good price. They are charging 309 for a ton of barefoots. To me that's crazy. 300 for a ton of curran softies which I thought burned amazing.

I am kind of glad I am done with the FSU's. The Accentra doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with clinkers as other models but still, I was amazed how fast they could form. I have no plans to seek out any more of those.

Reactions: D-mac02
Really interesting review. It runs counter to the general comments I've read on the Golds and FSUs. Just goes to show that every stove is different. I've noticed a heat output difference with certain pellets in my stove, but it tends to eat pretty much anything without a fuss.

I've had good luck with the AWFs this season as well. Great pellet at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.