Testing pellets - high per-bag prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotthershall

Feb 11, 2015
Central CT
So how much would you guys pay per-bag to test pellets?

I just made a trip to the local Agway. They have Energex hardwoods for $275/ton and Barefoot for $295/ton. Those prices seem reasonable for respected pellets. However, the price per-bag is $8.99 for both products. I find that to be excessive. I could understand a dollar or dollar and a half markup on the per-bag basis - there's certainly more labor in moving bags around, storing them properly, etc - but $3.49 and $3.09, respectively, is quite a bit in my opinion.

Home Depots markup is 20 cents but I understand that's probably not reasonable for smaller operations.

I'm looking forward to trying out some "premium" pellets this season, as opposed to my strict diet of BBS stuff last year, and was looking forward to buying a few bags today, but man, I just couldn't get myself to pay that.

In your experience, what's been the per-bag markup at your supplier? What do you think is a fair markup?

Scott

So how much would you guys pay per-bag to test pellets?

I just made a trip to the local Agway. They have Energex hardwoods for $275/ton and Barefoot for $295/ton. Those prices seem reasonable for respected pellets. However, the price per-bag is $8.99 for both products. I find that to be excessive. I could understand a dollar or dollar and a half markup on the per-bag basis - there's certainly more labor in moving bags around, storing them properly, etc - but $3.49 and $3.09, respectively, is quite a bit in my opinion.

Home Depots markup is 20 cents but I understand that's probably not reasonable for smaller operations.

I'm looking forward to trying out some "premium" pellets this season, as opposed to my strict diet of BBS stuff last year, and was looking forward to buying a few bags today, but man, I just couldn't get myself to pay that.

In your experience, what's been the per-bag markup at your supplier? What do you think is a fair markup?

Scott
The Energex Hardwoods are the same Pellets produced under the name Stove Chows.. Home Depot"s go to pellets..
I burned 2 tons of each for 2 seasons and there was No Difference in heat output or Mountain of Ash leftover.
Chows are made by Energex plant here in Upstate Pa...if u see chows cheaper at a Box store then I would get them there.

Just FYI I logged and posted a few different burn experiences I've had. Barefoots so far have been the best all around pellet I have tried yet. About as hot as Platinum or AWF softwoods but less ash so the output heat stays hotter for longer (through the week).

The Energex Hardwoods are the same Pellets produced under the name Stove Chows.. Home Depot"s go to pellets..
I burned 2 tons of each for 2 seasons and there was No Difference in heat output or Mountain of Ash leftover.
Chows are made by Energex plant here in Upstate Pa...if u see chows cheaper at a Box store then I would get them there.

Ah ha! That's good to know. I knew they were made by the same manuf but didn't know if there was a quality difference between the actual Energex product and that which they made for BBSs... and all the HD's around me have Stove Chows right now. I'm in the process of stocking up!

If I paid 20% more for pellets I would expect 20% more heat or another words a 20% less consumption. Why else pay it?

My thoughts too. I'm just looking to test a few bags to see what I'm missing. My guess is not that much... The "Premier Pellet" stuff I burned last year (FSU, Nature's Own, a few bags of Stove Chow) seemed perfectly acceptable to me. The per-ton prices of the premium-brand stuff I found isn't awful, but the per-bag prices certainly are...

Status
Not open for further replies.