Testing Tarm Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

Hearth Supporter
May 21, 2008
NH
I am trying to figure out the Dump Zone install issue. It was discussed in a recent topic with the Automag. I am trying to use the upstairs heating zone in my living room as the dump zone... as well as a heating zone. When my plumber is finished with the process... is it wise to fire the boiler and then see if it works? In other words... hit the breaker while the Tarm is at max capacity... and see if the zone opens and the " dump " part of it is working... everything opening correctly and such. If a mistake was made .... and it doesn't work.... should I just pray? or call 911..

Go for it. I wouldn't install any safety device/system without testing it. Cut the breaker and feel the dump zone pipe. It should start getting warm. The Tarm's blower should shut down also. Watch the pressure-if it climbs too high the relief valve should blow anyway. The zone should be large enough to move the excess heat away.

Let us know how it works.

Mike

Just keep an eye on the pressure and temp in the boiler. That way, you can turn power back on and save yourself a mess, if it is getting too hot or if it is approaching the relief pressure (typically 15 or 30psi - check your relief valve tag).

If there's a service switch installed on the side of the boiler (which their should be), you can cut power there instead of using the breaker. That would let you be close and watch the gauge.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.