Testing the limits of the 025

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailanthus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2012
Shen Valley, VA
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/it-pays-to-ask-part-2.106699/#post-1393412

See the linked post for reference - I went back to tackle the large black locust trunk that I had left at the scrounge site back in Feb/Mar of this year. I had left it because the size was intimidating and there was much easier stuff to get. I just recently took a look and it was still setting there. I haven't gotten the chance to do any cutting for months, so I decided to go back for it.
2013-02-28_14-59-55_105.jpg

This was easily the largest trunk I've ever attempted, I'm guessing about 36" in the widest direction. That's an 18" bar. It didn't go quickly (understatement), but the little saw made it through just fine. Luckily, I managed to avoid pinching the bar with some wooden wedges that I cut at the site. I'll really only end up with about 4 rounds similar to the pic below:

IMG_20131211_152910_255.jpg
I still haven't hauled it back home. It will have to be split at least in quarters for me to manage getting it into the wheelbarrow, across the field & into the trailer. I will add this to the ~1.5 cord of locust that I got from this same tree last winter - which will all end up being for somewhere around 2017-18.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like the big rounds that give you many splits per round. The wood pile grows much faster this way.

Good on you for going back for this locust and you will appreciate it when burning it.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Nice, looks like a 32 piece round at least. Enjoy splitting that. Put your splitter on vertical ;).
I have that saw. Its a little work horse.

My ms250 regularly chews through 32 to 36 inch rounds. It takes a couple of passes but it seems happy to do it. I'd like to have a longer bladed saw, but, only for speed (and my ego) The little 250 gets it done. Great haul Aillanthus. Enjoy your warmth!

Thats a serious chunk of wood, did you count the growth rings?
I agree, good on you for going back!

Good thought - I hadn't counted, but you can make out most of it from the picture - I get ~55 years. Fast growing tree!

Of the hardwoods BL is one of the fastest growing and probably why I see so much of it along Michigan highways?? Erosion control maybe? But I have BL fantasies when the road crew trim a bunch of it back.

Sharp chain will go a long way in wood like that - take you time and let the saw work

Status
Not open for further replies.