tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tfdchief said:
Dennis, How long did it take you to regain your strength? If I get my brace off September 12, do you think I will be able to carry wood into the house in October?

Regain strength after what? Injury? Which one? Sickness? Which one? Sad to ask those questions isn't it?! My problems began in 1947 when I had polio and was cripple from the waist down. The top was hit but not as bad and thankfully I was never in an iron lung. I was always a skinny runt until about age 12 when I finally was able to do some good work and I even went to work for a neighbor. There were 3 of us boys at home so being the youngest you know what I got. So I worked for the neighbor and later ended up moving and living with them. They became like mother and father to me. Can you imagine this happening today? I went to work at age 12 and by age 13 I was doing all the milking while still going to school. That is one thing I definitely do not regret and have some fond memories.

Injury, the worst was with the back and that happened in 1984. I stopped at 3 surgeries and said if that can't fix me then I don't want any more. Yes, it still hounds me today.

As for regaining strength, it all depends.... Sometimes one can regain fairly fast but for sure you need to figure on a year to get back at least close to where you were. Yet, I've known some who did much better. Even with myself, I had hip replacement in early July of 2004. I was walking a mile a day within 6 weeks or less. In early September I was climbing trees and setting tree stands for hunting season. Then last winter I had the other side replaced and it is still a struggle. Some days I still can't even tie my shoes. I think they must have shortened my arms while I was in there.

I don't feel very strong right now and to compound the situation, I hurt my back again last night just getting into the shower. It was not a good night. Fortunately I always have pain medicine handy.

Will you be able to carry wood by October. I say yes! However, you won't be carrying full armloads. I think you will be able to tend the stove okay this winter and your determination will get you to that point. You can do these things so long as you are careful. Yes, all the time, even today, people holler at me that I should not do this or should not do that. I say Bull! I'll do what I want to do.

Sure, sometimes I pay a heavy price and sometimes I get away with a lot. Steve, I'll soon turn 69 and I'll be damned and won't slow down until my body forces me....and it has, but I'll still do what I can. Yesterday I visited with one of the best friends I've ever had. Sadly he is now starting a fight with cancer. But he and I were talking after he asked me how far I came to get to his place. Yes, I was on the bicycle. When I told him the route I took his eyes lite up and he smiled. Then we got to talking about other folks our age. Actually he is older than I at 73. Now get this. He still works in the woods and in the sawmill. We both agree that is it much better to stay as active as possible.

You will be finding out as you go what I am talking about. You will get a little better and a little better. You'll start walking further daily and it will be a struggle. Then one day you'll go for a walk and suddenly you realize just how much better you are and how much better you feel. From that point on things will go fast. You will heal, but you'll also never forget that day on the atv, or should I say, when you flew off the atv and flew right into the hospital. Just look at it as one more trial you have to go through just like other trials you've gone through in life.

You want to read because I've seen it in other posts. I have to tell that when I was so bad and could do hardly anything I finally made my mind up to read the Bible from cover to cover. I did it. Much did not make sense....until the third time through. Also, after I was able to drive, I took some college courses at the community college. It all helped a lot. I wish you the best of luck, my friend.

Backwoods Savage said:
tfdchief said:
Dennis, How long did it take you to regain your strength? If I get my brace off September 12, do you think I will be able to carry wood into the house in October?

Regain strength after what? Injury? Which one? Sickness? Which one? Sad to ask those questions isn't it?! My problems began in 1947 when I had polio and was cripple from the waist down.
Wow! Dennis, I keep forgetting you have been through so much. Sorry for the dumb question, a little selfish I guess. I fight feeling sorry for myself each day, but you and others keep reminding me how lucky I am. For sure I will never forget the day it happened. I have always been so careful, and was just to relaxed that day, because we weren't doing anything that required extra careful, I didn't think.....just let my guard down. Well, another lessen learned....a tough one for sure. Thanks again Dennis, for taking the time to think about me.
God Bless,
Steve

Steve, for an inspiring book, you might want to read Helen Thayer's - Walking the Gobi. This is an incredible woman. Ever since childhood, she had always wanted to cross the Gobi Desert and not in a car, but on her own power. It took years of planning, but at age 63 she was ready. Then shortly before departing she was in a horrific car accident. The docs said she wouldn't walk again. But she did and went on this grueling 1600 mile journey that would be remarkable for a 25 year old to make.

http://www.helenthayer.com/

PS: Her other treks are remarkable too, including walking to the North Pole. She is an inspiring person.
PPS: He husband Bill was 74 on the Gobi walk and yes, he has been her companion on these treks.

BeGreen seeing her age reminds me that already in the 2012 RAAM, there is a 4-man team already registered.....and they are called Team 70+, which means all their racers will be over age 70. I think it is the same team who raced 2 years ago and if memory is right, all but one racer was over 70. These guys are amazing. btw, the RAAM is a 3000+ mile bicycle Race Across AMerica.

There's hope for us geezers, as long as we don't spend all day in front of computers. ;-)

Ok, I think I'll get up and go eat some dinner.

You get a free pass chief, it's therapy. Me, guilty as charged. :red:

BeGreen said:
You get a free pass chief, it's therapy. Me, guilty as charged. :red:
Actually, I think this new brace is the start. Dr told me it was the next step and would allow some movement and therefore work muscles. I can definitely tell that because the later part of the day gets real tough due to back (muscle) pain. That is something I didn't have as much in the first brace. I guess that's progress.

tfdchief said:
I guess that's progress.

Yes it is. Keep in mind that sometimes its gonna hurt more, just to get better. ;-) . By the sounds of your mobility (and tenacity), I think you are well on your way.

Steve - keep positive, and keep on the move as much as your doc is will to let you.

Haven't heard from you in a few days Steve . . . are things still going OK? Just checking in on you.

firefighterjake said:
Haven't heard from you in a few days Steve . . . are things still going OK? Just checking in on you.
Jake, thanks for checking. Yes, I get a little stronger each day. I visited the fire house yesterday after a big down town fire in a neighboring community.....we responded mutual aid. It was good to see the guys. I miss them a lot, but they are getting the job done without me.

The new brace is much better. I can put it on and take it off by myself (can sleep without it). It is not as restrictive and not as hot. Four more weeks and the brace comes off. Then rebuild the muscles, gain weight back and stamina. Last Monday the doc said my x-rays looked really good.

Good news!

That's great Steve you're on the road to recovery! Hang in there!

Ray

Wow Steve. That is great that you got to go to the firehouse. I'll bet you got a great greeting too.

HehHeh . . . so when you visited the fire house did they give you one of those plastic firefighter helmets with the elastic string? ;) :)

Keep getting better Steve . . . sounds like you're already well on the road to recovery.

firefighterjake said:
HehHeh . . . so when you visited the fire house did they give you one of those plastic firefighter helmets with the elastic string? ;) :)

Keep getting better Steve . . . sounds like you're already well on the road to recovery.
Thanks Jake, I think I am. A ways to go for sure, but a little better each day.

During my recovery, I have received several care packages from forum members. They were sent to cheer me up and they did! What an incredibly thoughtful bunch this forum is. Thanks! This place has given me somewhere to go on all the lonely, boring days of recovery. 4 more weeks in the brace! Not sure what it will be like without it. I am sure I will have additional recovery and rehab but I am still looking forward to getting rid of it. Oh, I am driving a little...around town. It is really nice to get out of this house!
Hanging in there,
Steve

As I am sure you have discovered by now Steve this forum is truly a unique place unlike any other forum that I am on . . . folks here truly are a melting pot of America and are brought together by the simplest of facts -- we want to stay warm in the winter . . . and do so safely and efficiently as possible . . . and yet for some reason in this huge diversity many friendships are made, even though some of us will never see each other in person . . . it really is a special place on the web as folks here care about each other -- we celebrate the good times and successes (children and grandchildren born, wood scores and new jobs and new vehicles) and together support each other in the bad times (injuries, death, job loss, etc.)

I don't know how it happened . . . but many folks who come to Hearth.com came here to learn more about how to burn wood to keep warm . . . and somehow in the process have become part of a much wider community.

firefighterjake said:
As I am sure you have discovered by now Steve this forum is truly a unique place unlike any other forum that I am on . . . folks here truly are a melting pot of America and are brought together by the simplest of facts -- we want to stay warm in the winter . . . and do so safely and efficiently as possible . . . and yet for some reason in this huge diversity many friendships are made, even though some of us will never see each other in person . . . it really is a special place on the web as folks here care about each other -- we celebrate the good times and successes (children and grandchildren born, wood scores and new jobs and new vehicles) and together support each other in the bad times (injuries, death, job loss, etc.)

I don't know how it happened . . . but many folks who come to Hearth.com came here to learn more about how to burn wood to keep warm . . . and somehow in the process have become part of a much wider community.
Jake, I certainly have!!!! You have said it very well and I agree. This forum is truly a very unique bunch. Thanks to all who make it that way, Steve

Very well said Jake. Now if you could just learn the correct way to split wood you would truly be a professional.

What warms the hearth, warms the heart.

Be well td, and be patient. You are one of the lucky ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.