tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news! Are you doing any type of physical therapy?

It takes time, I ran the small saw over the weekend and made a few small cuts and was paranoid the whole time. I was worried about moving wrong, twisting wrong, bending wrong etc. I think I'll be paranoid for a while still but it seems to get better with everything I do.

fantastic!!!! great to hear chief!

i know your neighborhood will be happy to see you out and about again soon, i firmly believe this because every firefighter on the job makes the neighborhood that much safer! KUDO's to you and all the other firefigters out there , running toward the smoke takes guts. and we ALL appreciate what you guys do for us!

god bless bro.

Like a lot of other fair (cold) weather hearthers, I didn't spend hardly any time here during the warmer months so missed this whole event. So sorry to hear about something like that happening to you. One of my mothers favorite sayings was "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger". I'm sure that will apply to you, if not physically, maybe spiritually, emotionally, psychologically.

Thanks for letting us know initially and for the updates. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Cudo's to the hearth community for all their support.

This is terrific news! Along with the rest of us, I bet the doc is feeling mighty happy about the outcome. Sometime you might be up to going back six months and re-reading this thread. It's a good reminder that the hard times don't last, but we take something lasting with us.

Here's hoping the pain lightens up. Sure beats the brace, though, doesn't it?

So happy to hear your a progressing. As the others have said, TAKE IT EASY". Nice news to hear right before the holidays. Have a great Xmas to you and yours.

That's great.....
it's always a good thing when the dr doesn't want you back for 6 months.... :)
Don't overdo it dammit.... :lol:

Great news Steve . . . let's celebrate this good news . . . I'll load up my ATV, come down and we can take our ATVs out for a spin . . . maybe do some jumps, 360s, etc. ;) :) All kidding aside, this really is good news . . . one step at a time.

Good news! A fine Christmas gift for you and your family. Keep on taking care of yourself and let your body continue to heal.

tfdchief said:
Update:

So, Great news! I just wish I didn't hurt so much, and wear down so easy, but he said that is just part of the healing process

Steve
Sounds like you have a real good doctor, pain isn't the enemy. Best of luck to you Chief, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
tfdchief said:
Update:

So, Great news! I just wish I didn't hurt so much, and wear down so easy, but he said that is just part of the healing process

Steve
Sounds like you have a real good doctor, pain isn't the enemy. Best of luck to you Chief, Randy

That is wonderful news indeed! Kudos to you for sticking with the program. Sounds like by spring you and the grandson may be having some nice outings again. Watch out for ice this winter and keep up with the exercises.

Hey Chief,

Since I only check in Hearth.com during burn season, I missed this completely (All I do in the summer is fish). I feel bad I wasn't around to say a prayer for you. God Bless you and may you continue to heal! You've had quite a journey and recovery. Amazing if you ask me. You're one tough hombre!

I hope you are enjoying your stove! and keeping warm!

God Bless.

PapaDave said:
This kind of thing requires stamina and resolve, things you seem to have in abundance. Good on 'ya for sticking with it, and we're still pulling for you.

I agree Dave. Steve and I have discussed this via email a few times and he is a tough guy so I think he will do just fine.

+1 on all the other positive comments!

Ray

Dang, I don't know how to begin thanking everyone for their responses. I really would like to answer everyone of you individually, but I don't want to take up so much space. So far, since yesterday, there have been 20 of you, and I am sure there will be more, who have responded to my updated news and status......with encouragement, good advise, prayers, compliments I probably don't deserve, and a little kidding to keep things in perspective.

OK, I have sat here looking at my response, trying to find the right words to thank everyone collectively.........It just isn't enough. You all deserve more. I am going to PM you.

Thanks and God Bless you all.

Steve

Edit:
P. S. I have just been told I have exceeded my PM quota for 24 hours. But I will finish tomorrow night I promise!

Chief, wishing you continued good healing! I have a friend with a pretty messed up back, he was looking at having one of two very serious back surgeries for certain, when someone suggested one more try at Physical THerapy using Pilates, it strengthened his core and saved his back, he didn't have to get either surgery. Made me realy believe in that sort of careful, targeted exercise.
Best to you, and a happy holiday!!!

tfdchief said:
P. S. I have just been told I have exceeded my PM quota for 24 hours.

Yeah, about that pm quota thang.....me thinks is should be upped dammit.....Craig :mad:

GAMMA RAY said:
tfdchief said:
P. S. I have just been told I have exceeded my PM quota for 24 hours.

Yeah, about that pm quota thang.....me thinks is should be upped dammit.....Craig :mad:

Cuz you're a popular chicklet Michelle!

Ray

Glad you're getting back to abnormal Steve!@

Ray

Update: Sorry, I was so damn happy I forgot to take pictures. But my son and I cut about a cord and a half today, loaded and took 1/2 to my house and 1/2 to his house.........since my Monday doctor appointment when he turned me loose to start trying out my NEW back. :ahhh: OK, OK, I followed ALL instructions and advice to take it easy and a little at a time........but I used a chain saw (allbiet, my small one), I loaded wood in the truck, OK the small stuff, and DAMN, it felt really good! I will probably feel like crap tomorrow, but I sure do feel good right now! I am back!!!!!!!! :coolgrin:

Nice....very nice indeed. Take it slow but keep working at it bit by bit. Good to hear you are
getting back into the game. Just keep it moving forward....

Good to hear Steve. I am new to this forum and its good to see all the support and see that your doing alot better.

You will find that staying active will keep the pain and soreness down. Staying active doesnt mean lifting too much heavy stuff but its means doing lots of little things. As sitting around as you most likely already know really stiffens you up. Remember this also, Walking is really good for the back. I used to have all kinds of back problems then started a walking program and it cleared up. My son is a baseball pitcher in college instead of icing after pitching they will easily jog a mile as the flushing action of a run is better than icing. I think the same thing is going on with a good walking program.

Another thing I found that works good for back pain and for along time I never really paid attention to I would ice or I would use heat. But I always read that cycling the cold and the heat. But I just never did it the cycling the cold/heat. The last time I threw my back out and it was one of those ones that I couldnt hardly get out of the bed. I got in the shower and turned the heat on as hot as I could stand it on the area for a couple minutes got it good and heated up. Then I gritted my teeth and flipped the cold on and the hot off, boy was it ice cold as it was winter time. I only took the cold for like 30 seconds then went right back to the hot water. I cycled this like ten times. When I was done I swear it was a better effect than 800mg Ibuprofen.

Good Luck !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.