tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, you are blessed with a good son who can help and I do remember you getting more wood than you expected. For sure you won't be doing much wood cutting this winter but the following year may even be questionable. I know you are a long distance from us and from many others but should the time come that you need the help, that distance becomes much closer and we'll be there. I think I speak for many on this too as you have many friends here online.
Dennis, Thank you. I honestly believe you all would do that for me and I hope I don't have to ask. It sure feels good though to know how much people care. My son told me he is taking me with him to the woods this winter even if I only get to sit in the truck and supervise :)

Battenkiller said:
tfdchief said:
BeGreen said:
That's reat news Steve. I know it's going to be agony, but pay attention to the doc and let those bones heal. How are you on the flip side? Did the broken ribs hit any organs?
Thank God they did not. All broken up but no internal organ damage, no punctured lungs. Thanks and God Bless, Steve

Great news, Steve! Who'd read my creosote posts if something happened to you? :)

You know, I almost lost my oldest boy to one of those things about five years ago. He backed up to a ravine on a strange quad and found out too late it had bad brakes. Down he went, about 15', with the thing landing right on top of him. His head hit a boulder as big as a Volkswagen. Thank God he had a new modern helmet or I would have lost him for sure. As it was, he had to use every ounce of adrenaline to claw his way up the ravine to the dirt road, where he collapsed and was found some time later. I went to the accident scene with him after he recovered and I just got the chills down to my toes. It was not a place anyone would want to fall with one of those things. He could hardly breathe, never mind cry out for help. If he didn't muster up the strength to drag himself up that ravine, he probably would have died down there.

He broke three ribs and his left scapula. No punctures, but he collapsed both lungs from the impact. That kept him in the hospital until they were sure they would stay open. Several days, I think, maybe a week. No broken vertebrae at all, kids are rubberier than we are. Two weeks later he was out racing autocross, busted bones and all. Dangdest thing, though, he ended up getting $300 worth of traffic tickets because the bloody POS wasn't registered and the "road" was maintained by the town in the winter, and so it was considered a public thoroughfare. :roll:

Again, thanks for the update, Steve. You had us real worried, but we were all pullin' for you behind the scene. ;-)
Thanks. I think that is why I am still here and doing OK. You're son had a close call for sure and thank God he is still alive. Life is scary if you live it and there wouldn't be much point otherwise. Stuff just happens sometimes no matter how careful we are. AND I love your creosote posts! Steve

The weatherman calls for a sunny day and it ends up pouring. Glad to hear the good fortune of having you as healthy as you are. Terribly sorry for the accident. It could happen to any of us.

The road to recovery is a better road to travel than the road you were on!

I hope to keep reading good news.

pen

pen said:
The weatherman calls for a sunny day and it ends up pouring. Glad to hear the good fortune of having you as healthy as you are. Terribly sorry for the accident. It could happen to any of us.

The road to recovery is a better road to travel than the road you were on!

I hope to keep reading good news.

pen
Thanks Pen. I was thinking today that "I am to old for this", and then it dawned on me that when I was younger I am not sure I could have dealt with any of this. Your words may hold more wisdom than you realize. Thanks again and God Bless, Steve

Breaking news: A 2-seater private plane has crashed into a cemetery. The fire department has reported recovering over 300 bodies, and are still digging.

No-one can say they're not go-getters, those guys and gals. If firemen were a dog, I think they'd be black Labs.

Steve, I have been following this thread because you have been in my thoughts....what else could I have said to you that these fine folks here at Hearth did not say? They are a fine bunch of caring people. I had a car accident 12 years ago and ended up getting my neck fused in several areas ....the accident and injuries were no where near what you or jags's friend had to endure....I know it is hard to try to "rest" especially when you are a person who does not like to sit still for very long. Your attitude sounds phenonmenal which is so very important. Well, you have a great support group here and I look forward to reading more good news.....so update frequently....All the best... :)

GAMMA RAY said:
Steve, I have been following this thread because you have been in my thoughts....what else could I have said to you that these fine folks here at Hearth did not say? They are a fine bunch of caring people. I had a car accident 12 years ago and ended up getting my neck fused in several areas ....the accident and injuries were no where near what you or jags's friend had to endure....I know it is hard to try to "rest" especially when you are a person who does not like to sit still for very long. Your attitude sounds phenonmenal which is so very important. Well, you have a great support group here and I look forward to reading more good news.....so update frequently....All the best... :)
Thank you GR. Your thoughts mean a lot to me. All of you do and I am very grateful to have you all as friends. I get a little better each day, not quite as much pain and stronger. The brace of course is a pretty limiting factor, but I try to walk as much as I can. September 17th is the goal we are shooting for taking off this awful thing and even though the Doc hasn't really told me what comes after that, I will just be grateful to be rid of it. It hurts all the time, more than my back and ribs now. OK, no more gripping. I am good and just need to know you are all out there waiting for winter, sort of like me lol. Take care and God Bless, Steve PS, I enjoyed the beautiful pictures of your trip a while back.

Stuff does happen sometimes tdfchief but we can get back up brush ourselves off and some how use it to our advantage. Ive been where your at but not as sever. Had to have a hip replacement back in Jan. I was laid up for 3 months then just light stuff after that. Praying for your revovery. Was just in Springfield Ill. last week. Got a lot of family there. Stand strong chief and keep the push through till the end firefighter attitude.

oilstinks said:
Stuff does happen sometimes tdfchief but we can get back up brush ourselves off and some how use it to our advantage. Ive been where your at but not as sever. Had to have a hip replacement back in Jan. I was laid up for 3 months then just light stuff after that. Praying for your recovery. Was just in Springfield Ill. last week. Got a lot of family there. Stand strong chief and keep the push through till the end firefighter attitude.
Thanks OS. Your prayers are very much needed and appreciated. Hope your hip is doing OK. Springfield is only an hour from where I live. It was one of the choices to Life Flight me to from Harrisburg IL hospital. Went to St Marys in Evansville IN though. Not sure who made that decision. I am hanging in there with everyone's help! You guys uplift me everyday, Thanks, and God Bless you, Steve

Oh, gosh, Steve, don't use the w-word yet, I'm still scrambling to get my wood in.

SJOD: Alaskan Computer Terms

Log on: Make the wood stove hotter.
Log off: Don't add no more wood.
Monitor: Keep an eye on that wood stove.
Download: Getting the firewood off the truck.
Floppy Disk: What you get from trying to carry too much firewood.
Ram: The thing that splits the firewood.
Hard Drive: Getting home in the winter.
Prompt: "Throw another log on the fire".
Window: What to shut when it's cold outside.
Screen: What to shut during mosquito season.
Byte: What mosquitoes do.
Bit: What the mosquitoes did.
Megabyte: What BIG mosquitoes do.
Chip: Munchies when monitoring.
Microchip: What's left after you eat the chips.
Modem: What you did to the weeds.
Dot Matrix: Old Dan Matrix's wife.
Lap Top: Where kitty sleeps.
Mouse: What eats the food in your pantry.
Mainframe: What holds the house up.
Web: The things spiders make.
Web Site: The garage or attic.
Cursor: Someone who swears a lot.
Search Engine: What you do when the truck dies.
Screen Saver: A repair kit for the torn window screen.
Home Page: A map you keep in your back pocket just in case you get lost when hunting moose.
Upgrade: Driving up into Atigun Pass.
Sound Card: One of them technological birthday cards that plays music.
User: Buddy down the street who keeps coming over borrowing stuff.
Network: When you have to repair your fishing net.
Internet: Where the fish get caught.
Netscape: When a fish gets away.
On-line: When you get the laundry on the clothesline.
Off-line: When the clothespin lets go and the laundry falls on the ground.

Good to hear that Steve is getting good news and is on the mend.

No way can I top this one for the SJOTD, so will just post the link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76688/

Hope that today is a mending day, and treats you well. If there's a silver lining in this, at least it's a good thing that you're dealing with this in the summer--no ice to make you uneasy when you go for a walk in the brace, no bundling up in multiple layers to go outside, no realizing that you have to pee once you are bundled up . . . :gulp:

snowleopard said:

Hope that today is a mending day, and treats you well. If there's a silver lining in this, at least it's a good thing that you're dealing with this in the summer--no ice to make you uneasy when you go for a walk in the brace, no bundling up in multiple layers to go outside, no realizing that you have to pee once you are bundled up . . . :gulp:
Everyone says I am doing better. Hard for me to tell since I am in this broken old body every minute, but I keep working at it. And you guys help a lot. It gives me something to do. Hope I get to meet some of you in person someday and thank you all properly for your concern and prayers and offers to help. When things like this happen, you find out what really matters in life. Take Care All, Thanks, Steve
PS, Next Dr. Apt. is Aug. 1

tfdchief said:
snowleopard said:

Everyone says I am doing better. Hard for me to tell since I am in this broken old body every minute, but I keep working at it. And you guys help a lot. It gives me something to do. Hope I get to meet some of you in person someday and thank you all properly for your concern and prayers and offers to help. When things like this happen, you find out what really matters in life. Take Care All, Thanks, Steve
PS, Next Dr. Apt. is Aug. 1

I am sitting here wondering exactly what happened Steve.. Were you beating up the trails when the accident occured? I used to own a street motorcycle and had a few close calls and decided to sell it.. What is your mindset after this accident and what have you learned? I have known people that have died in freak accidents on ATV's and though they are fun but the consequences can be dire as in your situation or worse.. Sorry I had to break the ice on this but these questions have been nagging me.. Glad you're on the mend it will be a long road so hang in there!

Ray

[/quote]

I am sitting here wondering exactly what happened Steve.. Were you beating up the trails when the accident occured? I used to own a street motorcycle and had a few close calls and decided to sell it.. What is your mindset after this accident and what have you learned? I have known people that have died in freak accidents on ATV's and though they are fun but the consequences can be dire as in your situation or worse.. Sorry I had to break the ice on this but these questions have been nagging me.. Glad you're on the mend it will be a long road so hang in there!

Ray
[/quote]Ray, I understand you wondering. That's the really crazy part. My son and I do like to hit some rough terrain because as you say it is fun. But we are pretty careful even then (use our winches when need be) But when this happened My son, my grandson who is 8 and rides a small ATV, were on a short overnight trip Father's Day Weekend, to Southern IL just outside Harrisburg. We were out for a leisurely ride, nothing severe with my grandson along. My son and I always front and back him going up or down any slopes so he can't roll to far. I was behind him on not much of a slope and he kind of stalled. I stopped to keep him from coming backwards and his Dad in front of him pulled him up the hill. At that point, I thought I could continue up the slope from a standing start. It wasn't that steep. But there was a root in front of me I guess I didn't see. As I started up, the front end climbed the root and kept coming over on top of me. You can get away from them sideways and even front over, but when they are coming over backwards there is just nothing you can do. It is the one thing my son and I have always feared and always been super careful about. This day I was just too relaxed....just riding slow and enjoying the woods and my sons. I am afraid it has probably ruined something the three of us have really enjoyed because I'm not sure we will ever be able to go again with the memory of this accident. They make ones like the Razor that put you in a seat and harness with role cage, but they are very expensive. So, I don't know what I will do. I do now know that no matter how careful you are, this can happen. Steve

Thanks for posting that Steve. Folks need these things to think about. Never had an ATV but rode big bore enduro bikes off road and in the woods. The exact same thing happened sans anybody in front of me but I was able to step off and watch it go end over end down a grassy hill. The irritating day was when I went over the bars and flew into the trees destroying a full face shield, putting teeth through the lower lip and getting busted up in the trees pretty bad. The irritation part was coming home and having to crawl up the stairs and all my wife asked was "Is the bike alright?". A lot younger back then. And she lived through it.

Nothing like happened to you though guy. Do not try to do anything too soon. At our age that stuff takes its sweet time healing.

x2, thanks for posting the details Steve.

I've road dirt bikes for years and just sold my last bike recently. It's crazy how fast things can happen when on the trails. I've been riding with friends down trails that seem harmless and have them go down and break bones. Worst was a friend breaking his femur and having to be airlifted out of the woods. I've had some hard "offs" but have been fortunate to only scramble my brain a time or two. Even with the risk I will still ride again someday(depending on my back) and I wouldn't stop my kid from riding someday if he wants. Some people also think I'm crazy for running a chainsaw, I find that most things in life that I find "fun" come with risks.

Sit back, relax, get better and let us entertain you! :)

tfdchief said:
...So, I don't know what I will do...

Well, Steve, for the time being I'd say what you'll do is focus on healing from these very serious injuries. Could be that you never ride an ATV again, who can tell at this point? You may not even want to. Maybe during this time of recuperation/repair/healing you and your son and your grandson can spend some time talking about other activities that you all might enjoy together one day. Rest and heal, Steve. Rick

rdust and BB, I too rode dirt bikes when I was younger and had all the spills and got away with it. I got rid of it when I realized one day I had a family to raise and couldn't afford to hurt myself. At 62, I guess I thought that I could safely ride a 4 wheeler with my sons. And you are right, chain saws, ATVs, falling trees, log splitters, hunting......everything fun has risks. So I guess we all just have to be as careful as we can and live life. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in it. I still am having trouble with the fact that I let it happen, since I have done far more extreme things in my life. Hell, the first time I went into a burning building to carry out a child inside, I guess I should have known that someday I would take a spill. I just never thought it would happen when being so relaxed and careful. I just pray I make it out of this OK and can do some of the things I enjoy. I love life to much and want to live a whole lot more of it. Thanks, Steve

fossil said:
tfdchief said:
...So, I don't know what I will do...

Well, Steve, for the time being I'd say what you'll do is focus on healing from these very serious injuries. Could be that you never ride an ATV again, who can tell at this point? You may not even want to. Maybe during this time of recuperation/repair/healing you and your son and your grandson can spend some time talking about other activities that you all might enjoy together one day. Rest and heal, Steve. Rick
Thanks Rick, I think that is good advise. In fact, we have been doing some talking and the main thing we know we enjoy the most is each other, so we will find a compromise. My grandson told me the other day he wasn't riding his 4 wheeler anymore if Papa couldn't come. I feel bad for him. He is only 8. He shouldn't have to bear memories like this so young.

tfdchief said:
...My grandson told me the other day he wasn't riding his 4 wheeler anymore if Papa couldn't come. I feel bad for him. He is only 8. He shouldn't have to bear memories like this so young.

One day he may well ride it again...but he'll never forget what happened. That may make him a safer rider. I'm 62, as well, and I've had 6 motorcycles, both dirt & street, over the course of my life. Sold the last one this past year. I won't bore you with any of my tales of woe, because this is your thread. In any case, it's time I admitted to myself that there are some things that I used to do but I either shouldn't do or just plain can't do anymore. Age takes a toll in a lot of ways, and the residual effects of old injuries seem to somehow accumulate. Take care and heal. Rick

fossil said:
tfdchief said:
...My grandson told me the other day he wasn't riding his 4 wheeler anymore if Papa couldn't come. I feel bad for him. He is only 8. He shouldn't have to bear memories like this so young.

One day he may well ride it again...but he'll never forget what happened. That may make him a safer rider. I'm 62, as well, and I've had 6 motorcycles, both dirt & street, over the course of my life. Sold the last one this past year. I won't bore you with any of my tales of woe, because this is your thread. In any case, it's time I admitted to myself that there are some things that I used to do but I either shouldn't do or just plain can't do anymore. Age takes a toll in a lot of ways, and the residual effects of old injuries seem to somehow accumulate. Take care and heal. Rick
Thanks Rick. You are right and I hope he can some day. Just knowing I am not alone in this makes it a little easier. I had 2 good days. Today was not so good, so we will see what tomorrow brings. Thanks, Steve

Steve, I may get blowed away for stating this but I highly recommend you get on an atv as soon as you can. Just for a short and smooth ride. Otherwise this may haunt you for life. Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, I may get blowed away for stating this but I highly recommend you get on an atv as soon as you can. Just for a short and smooth ride. Otherwise this may haunt you for life. Good luck.
Dennis, You are probably right and I hope when the time comes, I can. Not many times in my life have I been afraid, but I was fearful for my very life, this time. So I am mustering all my strength for this one, but I know I can do it. As I have told you all already. You all have been an inspiration. Thanks, Steve
PS, Dennis PM coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.