tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
tfdchief said:
snowleopard, Thanks. My family is the best. I love my grandson more than I can put in words, and we will be buddies no matter what. Thanks for the joke....it made us smile.

To all my friends here - Some of you know how my wood stacks are kind of random and many in my small yard. One of you said once they looked like yard ornaments. Just to come clean as a confirmed psycho wood burner, I have been doing my daily walking, in, and out, and around my stacks. It makes me feel good. Only fear is I'm getting to know them pretty well so I hope I can burn them come this winter - LOL. Steve
Just don't give 'em names, Steve. Did that with our beef cattle once as a kid. Makes it a little harder...

Nah, you just have to give them appropriate names like my brother and a couple of bulls he raised for meat -- I think one was named Sir Loin and the other was Chuck or something like that . . . kind of like the pigs we raised as kids -- Bacon and Ham.

firefighterjake said:
Nah, you just have to give them appropriate names like my brother and a couple of bulls he raised for meat -- I think one was named Sir Loin and the other was Chuck or something like that . . . kind of like the pigs we raised as kids -- Bacon and Ham.

The last one my brother (the firefighter) raised - he and his boys named "Food".

OK, I guess I might as well confess......Mine are named Nov 2009, Jan 2010, Dec 2010, Feb 2010, Jan 2011. And some have the same name so I guess they are twins. :cheese:

tfdchief said:
OK, I guess I might as well confess......Mine are named Nov 2009, Jan 2010, Dec 2010, Feb 2010, Jan 2011. And some have the same name so I guess they are twins. :cheese:

<snicker, snicker> - I see ya got the Vicodin kicking in this morning. ;-P

Frostbit said:
I just stumbled on this thread, so apologies for being late to the party, so to speak. Steve, I don't know you, but I want to send my best wishes in your recovery. We do share a couple things, one being Hearth members. Another...

I am a 16 year firefighter myself, all volunteer, now retired. The bond firefighters share is special.

I want to tell you to keep your spirits up. Tell yourself you are going to again do all of the things dear to your heart. Don't accept anything else. With that, a story:

My brother Wes was mauled by a large grizzly bear two months ago while he was hunting. The bear pulled him off of his snowmobile while he was parked, admittedly too close, to the bear. The 9 foot boar bit a large chunk out of his left thigh, rolled him over and went for his face. Is less than 20 seconds the bear tore his entire lower jaw off of his face, ear to ear. 3/4 of his tongue was removed when the jaw ripped free and his left eye exploded into his sinus cavity with the impact. A gaping hole was left with the jaw bone gone, exposing his entire throat. Loose skin hanging like curtains was all that remained from his upper lip down to his adams apple.

His two partners, one that happend to be a dentist, the other in dental school, attended to him 50 miles from town in the middle of nowhere. They packed snow around his face and throat, applying pressure to keep him from bleeding out. A frantic call was made to me via ham radio, and I dispatched a helicopter and a doctor to the accident scene, and he was flown back to Nome. An hour later he was on his way to Anchorage, and promptly rerouted to Harborview medical center in Seattle via lear jet. Wes never lost consciousness. He walked to the chopper.

Tomorrow, Thursday, Wes undergoes his 9th surgery in two months. At the moment, he breathes through a trach, sees through one eye, and eats via a stomach tube. He cannot talk, so he writes me and others most every night via computer. He has had multiple skin grafts. A 9" section of his left lower leg bone was harvested, cut and shaped and surgically installed as his new lower jaw. This surgery alone took 11 hours. I was there for that one.

We all know he has a long road ahead. But we are optimistic. And he is especially upbeat. He is still at Harborview. We all are hoping he can return to Alaska here soon.

The end of this story finishes with the fact that Wes is a 32 year firefighter, still active, and a 10 year volunteer EMT II. Five of those firefighter years he served as Chief.

So there you go, a bond, in more ways than one. I hope this story will help lighten your healing days. Like my brother, be thankful for being alive. The alternative is unacceptable.

I shall keep you in my thoughts and prayers. All the best.

Nate
Nome Alaska

Nate, this is truly amazing and also a testament to the human body and spirit. We pray he recovers as much as humanly possible.

Quick Note: Dr sending me to the hospital for a staff infection in a boil I developed. confused Don’t know when I will be back. Need more prayers, Steve

tfdchief said:
Quick Note: Dr sending me to the hospital for a staff infection in a boil I developed. confused Don’t know when I will be back. Need more prayers, Steve

Staff is nothing to play with. Get it gone quicker than quick.

Jags said:
tfdchief said:

Staff is nothing to play with. Get it gone quicker than quick.
Can't catch a break! Don't mess with that staff, hope you get it under control ASAP...

Steve, we'll be keeping the thread fires burning until we hear back from you. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and a good thing that they're keeping a close eye on you.

snowleopard said:
Steve, we'll be keeping the thread fires burning until we hear back from you. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and a good thing that they're keeping a close eye on you.

Very gruesome attack and I am glad he survived it! Great job getting help there ASAP! Best wishes sent to your friend Wes..

Ray

damn bro!!, bummer to hear about it. hope all is mending well so you can ride the red truck again soon. best of wishes from the Old Dominion for your speedy and complete recovery. im sure all the locals are rooting for you as well as they know the job youve done for them in your chosen profession. my grandfather was a fireman, when i was young visiting him at his firehouse you always had the feeling of professionalism and of literally being protected from any danger within those walls.

God loves firemen, and rightfully so. get well soon my friend

tfdchief said:

We're still with you Steve.

Backwoods Savage said:
tfdchief said:

We're still with you Steve.

+1 buddy!

Ray

Thinkin of ya Steve...been checkin this thread to hear the outcome.....I have had experience with different types of staph infections when I worked in the hospital....I actually had one myself in high school after a bad illness....It sounds like your doc acted quickly and I hope everything is going well...sometimes it takes a good amount of time to heal ....and there are so damn many types of those infections and they can come from various sources: very surprising sources which people don't realize.....we are all thinking of you and hope to hear something soon...
:)

I saw this posted and thought you'd get a kick out of it:

I work as a pediatric nurse, and often have the painful job of giving shots to the children. One day I entered the examining room to give a little girl a shot, and she starting screaming “NO! NO! NO!â€
Her mother scolded her. “Jessica, that is not polite behavior!â€
At that the girl continued to scream, “NO THANK YOU! NO THANK YOU! NO THANK YOU!â€

So there you have it, a role model. I'm sure you're continuing to be polite to the medics as they do what they've gotta do. Hang in there.

Great story snow leopard.

Now that is funny!

Thank you ALL so much for your concern! They filled me full of antibiotics and cut away the boils so they could heal and I am back home this morning. Thank God. I feel like I am starting over, but so glad to be home for now. Your thoughts, concerns, and prayers mean so much, and I look so forward to hearing from you all. It was nearly the first thing I did when I got home. Need to rest now. Thanks, Steve

tfdchief said:
Thank you ALL so much for your concern! They filled me full of antibiotics and cut away the boils so they could heal and I am back home this morning. Thank God. I feel like I am starting over, but so glad to be home for now. Your thoughts, concerns, and prayers mean so much, and I look so forward to hearing from you all. It was nearly the first thing I did when I got home. Need to rest now. Thanks, Steve

Welcome home Steve!!!!

Ray

Good news like that calls for a Daily Double!!!! Here comes #2 on the SJOTD:

An Amish girl and her mother were visiting a mall. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny, silver walls that could move apart and back together again. The girl asked, “Mother, what is this?â€
The mother, never having seen an elevator, responded, “I have never seen anything like this in my life. I don’t know what it is.â€
While the girl and her mother watched with amazement, an old man in a wheelchair rolled up to the moving walls and pressed a button.
The walls opened and the man rolled between them into a small room. The walls closed and the girl and her mother watched the small numbers above the walls light up sequentially. They continued to watch until the last number was reached, and they watched some more as the numbers began to light in reverse order.
The walls opened up again and a hunky young man stepped out.
The mother, not taking her eyes off the young man, said quietly to her daughter, “Go get your father.â€

Here's wishing you a smooth ride on that elevator, and all the best until the doors slide open and you emerge again.

Thanks Ray and SL. I feels good to be home and talk to all of you. I will try a different elevator next time at the hospital. The one I went on didn't work that good.

tfdchief said:
I will try a different elevator next time at the hospital. The one I went on didn't work that good.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad to hear you are back home Steve. You should heal good now but the cutting of those boils made me cringe. I had one years ago on the calf of one leg and they cut it and did nothing to freeze it before cutting. I swore that would be the last time for that!

Good part is that it appears the terrible heat is gone for a while. I see our forecast is a high of 80 tomorrow.

Backwoods Savage said:
So glad to hear you are back home Steve. You should heal good now but the cutting of those boils made me cringe. I had one years ago on the calf of one leg and they cut it and did nothing to freeze it before cutting. I swore that would be the last time for that!

Good part is that it appears the terrible heat is gone for a while. I see our forecast is a high of 80 tomorrow.
Thanks Dennis, It is good to be home. My heart sunk when the doctor said I had to go to the hospital. As for the heat, I hope it does go away so I can get outside to do some walking. I just can't do it outside in this heat because I get soaked under the brace and can't take it off. Thank God for AC. My loving wife just said its time for my bath so I better go, Take Care, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.