Thank God for wood stoves and cell phones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Well I finally got my power back today from the hellish ice storm that we got. We have had no power for 11 days. Now we have close to 2 feet of snow on the ground also. I wasn't prepared for this yet.

Well, The chimney guy came out 2 thursdays ago and cleaned out the chimney. He wasn't gonna come but ended up anyways and thank God, we got the storm that night and I wouldn't have been able to run the stove.

Anyways, no running water, no heat, no phones, Nothing for 11 days. My G/F and our kids stayed at families houses as they got power back, so the kids could have warm baths and beds. I stayed in our house every night to keep a fire going so my house would not freeze up. It wasn't the same with out the stoves blower and could barely keep the house above 50 degrees. I had to layer up to go to bed and when I woke it was mostly around 40 degrees. I would get a fire going and go to work then light one when I got home before going to see my family and catching a meal at Mom's or my sisters.

My small stove did all it could. I am planning on buying a bigger stove in the spring anyway but this just REALLY sold me and the G/F on a bigger stove and maybe a generator.
My Bro-in-law builds houses and came to flush out my water pipes because we still did not get an answer from the power company as to when our power would be back. There was a little ice in the pipes but nothing major.

I just got off the phone with him and he said this " if you had put one less log on or did anything different, your pipes would have been done for!"

So the moral to my story is, thank God for my little wood stove, it wasn't nice and comfy in here but it quite possibly saved me from alot of damage and heart ache!!

Not only thank god for your stove but your aptitude and diligence. There are MANY people in this world that lack what it takes to keep what you had going.

Congrats on overcoming that challenge! Well Done!

pen

Glad to see you made out okay, SkinnyKid.

Thank God indeed!

As the future unfolds, may you and yours be blessed in Christ!

TS

Thank whoever you want to, skinny...I give you the credit. Rick

oh and by the way, I have a pine tree that fell and is resting against my roof, i gotta take care if it when I get time. 1/2 day of work tomorrow then Christmas break until the 5th. I will try to get it off my house then.

On a brighter note, I scored a bunch of maple from a neighbors yard, and 2 F-150 truck loads of BIG Hemlock a couple of weeks ago with more coming. Not to count all the Pines that came down on my property, I have a bunch of wood in log length in my parents yard (oak, maple) and then whatever damaged trees on their property across town. I am in like sin with wood for a while. I am gonna get a new saw soon and then the hunt is on for a splitter when I get my feet back under me.

I will post pics that we took of the storm when I have more time. We didn't take many but I will post what we took.

skinny,
I agree that we should be thankfull to God about every thing...and I'm very thankful that my cell phone doesn't work at my home as it provided by my employer and I hate cell phones. But I degress, congrats on keeping your house safe from the freezing during this storm.

Charles

Nice job skinny. Good luck to you in the future. Hope you get that pine off the house before more damage is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.