Thank You Amish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MillHeat

Dec 17, 2010
Michigan
Found a new supplier for wood. This Amish mill down the road from me makes 6"x8" and 8"x8" beams. So the scraps they have are
Pieces that range from 8" to 18" long. The best part is its Oak and only $5 a truck load.

Mill_Heat said:
Amish ..... truck load.

Amish using trucks? I thought they were all about using old fashioned non-motorized stuff...

One would think that until you live around them. I have very nice Amish neighbors who use gasoline powered chainsaws all the time.

Mt Ski Bum said:
Mill_Heat said:
Amish ..... truck load.

Amish using trucks? I thought they were all about using old fashioned non-motorized stuff...

Their are different versions of the Amish religion.

Some "Sects" as they call it allow them to use tractors, chain saws, and even older car's. However i believe they still cant use electricity.

While the more strict version of the religion will not allow them to use any of that stuff.

By me we have Amish that use tractors for their farms but that's it. They have horse and buggy or bikes to get around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

While the rest of you debate the nuances of Amish sub-cultures... I just want to see pictures of a truck load or two :)

How much would a buggy-load be?

Mill_Heat said:
Found a new supplier for wood. This Amish mill down the road from me makes 6"x8" and 8"x8" beams. So the scraps they have are
Pieces that range from 8" to 18" long. The best part is its Oak and only $5 a truck load.

An Amish guy is doing our install. I'll have to hit him up about the nearest mill. Thanks Mill_Heat

first here is a couple pics from 1 truck load.

Attachments

• amish wood 001.jpg
    amish wood 001.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 615
  • amish wood 003.jpg
    amish wood 003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 616
I figured $5 a load and a 3 mile drive is really cheap. That and the slabs I get for free at the other mill down the road I'm heating my house for around
$30 a season. Plus electric to cut slabs with table saw.

The Amish that live near me have way better tools than I do. Nice pro saws, WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic mill, payloader, etc. A lot of them retrofit electric motors with hydraulic and run them from a big diesel pump unit. As long as it is in their place of business it is OK..but the house is off limits.

5 bucks is a wicked good deal for that....nice find.

News for you that is aspen not oak, that's why it is $5. Mills do not season wood before sawing. It is green ,the fresher the better. Most woods are fine in storage over the cold months, once summer hits, wood spoils very fast, esp. the Maples,aspens,beech, and hickory. The warm weather starts decay which stains the wood seriously degrading it.

nrford said:
News for you that is aspen not oak, that's why it is $5. Mills do not season wood before sawing. It is green ,the fresher the better. Most woods are fine in storage over the cold months, once summer hits, wood spoils very fast, esp. the Maples,aspens,beech, and hickory. The warm weather starts decay which stains the wood seriously degrading it.
+1 seems to be some confusion about that, I knew people leaving the logs set for years before they were going to have it milled, talked to a guy who had a saw mill and he said no way you cut it green and then dry it.

good score on the wood and price. no matter what kind of wood it is, or who delivered it (yourself or amish) you are getting the heat out of it! wish i had that opportunity. i think a lot of the members would be all over the same opportunity if they had the chance......

As Drozenski mentioned . . . different Amish sects have different "rules".

Around here we have a Michigan sect which means they have horse and buggies and bikes, dress in the old style and phones are typically outside the home. Also, no electricity in the homes . . . although the dairy farm has a diesel generator for the milk's holding tanks and other equipment. That said, they use solar and wind to charge up their battery powered tools, lights, rechargeable batteries, etc. and my closest Amish neighbor uses wind power to fill up a large storage tank with compressed air to run his equipment. To go longer distances they pay some folks to haul them around in a van . . . although I have seen them bike a fair number of miles . . . some of the younger men routinely bike from Unity to Bangor to get to the bus depot for the longer ride up to Smyrna . . . and a few have even biked the entire way to Smyrna.

One thing that sets the Michigan sect apart is that they do interact quite closely with us English and while they don't go door to door seeking new converts they are very welcoming to outsiders asking questions or attending their church services which here in town they offer in English and their version of German.

I've heard of some Amish with gasoline generators in the back of a horse drawn buggy.

we have some here who have pretty nice looking (newish) tractors, but they have steel wheels and no rubber on them.

the Amish around me use their wood.

That wood looks awesome!!! and the best part is there is no bark to make a huge mess in your yard - well besides the cheap price, thats the other best part.

we have lots of mennonites around here - and the old order mennonites will not drive cars, but have the nicest tractors and any other kind of equipment that you can imagine. one group can have cars, but their cars can't have anything shiny on them (they are called black bumper mennonite). to each their own.

You ought to be able to create a beautiful stack with wood cut in blocks like that.

Where about in Michigan are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.