Thank YOU and a question II..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman said:
Jafo said:
......We decided to reinforce the supports underneath, tear out the bottom of the firebox and pour in a new base......

Since the floor is now reinforced, could you leave a small 2 1/2 -3" hole there and run the OAK tubing down through it and out the side of the house??

The main problem with this is that any area on the side of the house has a chance of getting covered with snow. We live in the snow belt of Oneida county. The shape of the house lends to a great deal of snow next to the house. I think for now I will leave it off and think it over. It isn't like I can't add it later.

Ok, I have a pic of the new stove in place and running. We still have to clean up the ledge underneath it, and grout the hearth and trim it.

Attachments

• stovecom2.jpg
    stovecom2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 373
Thanks for the video, jafo....the stove looks great! I did notice how quiet is is.....NICE!

What are your thoughts so far? Where do you have the air control set?

macman said:
Thanks for the video, jafo....the stove looks great! I did notice how quiet is is.....NICE!

What are your thoughts so far? Where do you have the air control set?

Well to be honest I always turn the audio down on m videos, but still it is very quiet. The air control vent I am still playing with, but have it set to 1 right now.. Any advice there?

We did not install the OAK, as the would have to order it. I decided to see how it works without it first.

So far my initial thoughts are, I hope that new smell goes away soon. :p I understand why it smells like that, but it still annoys me. :)

It was a tight fit getting it into the fireplace. We had to remove a few bricks to get it to work. I am not looking forward to having to pull that out to clean..

Jafo,

Very nice looking install.

Using the pellet stove and NOT having to worry about having it start another house fire should give you priceless peace of mind and enjoyment.

Good choices and well done!!

Ranger

Jafo said:
.....The air control vent I am still playing with, but have it set to 1 right now.. Any advice there?

So far my initial thoughts are, I hope that new smell goes away soon. :p I understand why it smells like that, but it still annoys me. :)

It was a tight fit getting it into the fireplace. We had to remove a few bricks to get it to work. I am not looking forward to having to pull that out to clean..

Pretty much do the air just like the manual says. Set it so the pellets just start "dancin" a little at the bottom of the burn pot. Being on # 1 seems OK for starters. Adjust about 1/4 - 1/2 number at a time, and give it time to stabilize before adjusting again.

Always have the fan set the same as the heat setting, or higher. (Med heat = med fan or more, etc)

Yeah, the new stove smell is a pain having to do it after the install. Make sure you have it on med-high to get it nice & hot for complete burn-off (2nd yellow, or 1st red).

As for the cleaning, yes, inserts are a PIA in that respect.

Enjoy the heat!

OK, starting to get the swing of things.. There was some vibration coming from the trim that goes around the stove. It would change depending on how hot the stove was and sometimes sounded like a transformer humming. I shimmed the trim with some old hardened grout and that seems to have solved it.

Seems the best setting is the lowest one when it comes to air. I have the heat and fan on max, just seems to work best with a low low air setting.

I have been using my shopvac that has a bag and a filter to clean it out. I guess I am doing it right? I pull the lever to clean off the heat exchangers, open the door and vacuum around the seal. I vacuum up inside the baffles, then I vacuum all around the firepot and the first tray. I remove the firepot and the first tray and vacuum out the ash underneath that.. There are two vents that have a metal covering, I remove that and vacuum in there. I pull out the bottom tray and there are just a few half burnt pellets and I vacuum them out. I then clean the window with windex. If the hopper is empty, I clean that with the vac too.

Anything else I should be doing?

No, everything you said sounds good. Only thing I'm going to ask is about the baffles.....on my Astoria, they were removeable. If they're the same as my freestanding unit was, they need to be removed, as they catch a lot of ash on top of them. See the section in your owners manual on "bi-weekly cleaning".

Oh, one last thing...normally pellet stoves shouldn't be run at max heat all the time. It's OK for that 1 or 2 hours blast of heat to really warm up a cold room, or to burn off some soot from burning on low settings, but I never had my heat setting any higher than 1st red light.

macman said:
No, everything you said sounds good. Only thing I'm going to ask is about the baffles.....on my Astoria, they were removeable. If they're the same as my freestanding unit was, they need to be removed, as they catch a lot of ash on top of them. See the section in your owners manual on "bi-weekly cleaning".

Oh, one last thing...normally pellet stoves shouldn't be run at max heat all the time. It's OK for that 1 or 2 hours blast of heat to really warm up a cold room, or to burn off some soot from burning on low settings, but I never had my heat setting any higher than 1st red light.

Yes, sometimes I remove the baffles, sometimes I don't lol.

I set the heat to medium (orange) because my wife said the only time the light gets red is when it is on high, otherwise it starts green, goes to orange, then red (high). I am red-green color blind so they basically look the same to me, just some look brighter than others.

It just seems the fire is burning with too much air, like it is always on the verge of burning out. I have the air set to its lowest setting and the firepot looks relatively clean. I have the fan itself set to high but that should not affect combustion right?

Jafo said:
......It just seems the fire is burning with too much air, like it is always on the verge of burning out. I have the air set to its lowest setting and the firepot looks relatively clean. I have the fan itself set to high but that should not affect combustion right?

You have the air control rod pushed all the way in, and you still have a really short, "blowtorch" type flame? The flame I see in your video looks good to me, but it's kinda far away to say for sure. Has the fire actually gone out?

The flame should be yellowish-white, lively, and with a little tinge of blue at the base when the fire is right.

And no, the convection fan has nothing to do with the combustion air.

I have been tinkering with it and have it set on medium with the control rod pushed all the way in and it seems to be working better..

Status
Not open for further replies.