Thank you power company

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I was able to pick up a nice score today thanks to the Power company.
They are upgrading the lines in my area and in the process clearing out access roads. This means many trees being cut and just left behind. The problem is they usually lock the gates to these trails. Well I have been keeping a keen eye opened for an opportunity to get in and take advantage of the easy pickings .
Today was my lucky day , scored two pickup truck loads of a good mix
about Shag bark Hickory , Black Birch and one un-known

Thank You CL&P for dropping the trees for me and also that is a nice view up on the ridge.

Load 1
load1.JPGload1-2.JPG

Load 2
load2-1.JPG load2-2.JPG

This picture has my honey locust stack in the background 3-1/4 cord should be good for 2015
truck_w_honey.JPG
And here's the view from the top of the ridge , note the planks that have been placed by the power company at the bottom of picture
view_ridge.JPG

This hunting for firewood can be fun!

A lot of primo wood there. Green black birch is my favorite. Looks like fun!

Green black birch is my favorite

Mine to Paul :) , I find not only does it smell good ( birch beer or wintergreen as some refer to it ) It season reasonably fast and has a high BTU number. All you have to do it make sure you split it before it starts to punk.

We are very fortunate in the northeast to have all these hardwoods. Now that I am three years ahead I can be a little picky about what species I go for.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hickory & birch. It don't get much better than that :)

Even the hickory limbs are good to get, throw a couple chunks on the grill ;)

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Really like that view from on top too.

I see some cherry on those loads Lakeside. Is that the unknown wood you speak of ?

Reactions: ScotO
Is that the unknown wood you speak of ?

Here's two pictures of the un-known
un-known1.JPGun-known2.JPG

It was light , Is this some kind of ceder ?

As for cherry could be , but I am pretty sure black birch by the smell.

That stuff I am not sure of. The stuff on the truck in load 2 (pic on the left), sure looks like cherry bark. The first row by the cab is hickory but the second and third row is what looks like cherry.

The cherry that I am used to seeing up this way has a coarser bark , what ever it is. its all good BTU's!

I don't know what kind of cedar it is, but it is cedar.

I was able to pick up a nice score today thanks to the Power company.
They are upgrading the lines in my area and in the process clearing out access roads. This means many trees being cut and just left behind. The problem is they usually lock the gates to these trails. Well I have been keeping a keen eye opened for an opportunity to get in and take advantage of the easy pickings .
Today was my lucky day , scored two pickup truck loads of a good mix
about Shag bark Hickory , Black Birch and one un-known

Thank You CL&P for dropping the trees for me and also that is a nice view up on the ridge.

This hunting for firewood can be fun!

Looks great, CL+P is due to clear out their land near me, I will have to keep a look out for their trucks. I live right along their access road. I figure they owe me after this year's record power outages.

Even the hickory limbs are good to get, throw a couple chunks on the grill ;)

Dave ,
Do you have any advise for a first timer smoker ? I picked one up the other day and would like to smoke some salmon sometime soon.

Anyone else got any smoking tips ? My coworker said not to use the bark

Is there a better forum on this sight for this topic?

Dave ,
Do you have any advise for a first timer smoker ? I picked one up the other day and would like to smoke some salmon sometime soon.

Anyone else got any smoking tips ? My coworker said not to use the bark

Is there a better forum on this sight for this topic?

That definitely be some cedar.

I'm not Dave, but my advise for a first time smoker is don't! Plays hell with the body. Oh, whoops. Maybe you are talking about smoking something else....;)

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.