Thank You

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwert

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2008
Northern CT.
I want to thank the many of you who have helped me over the years. I am grateful for all the knowledge on here and your generosity.
We live in a changing world that baffles me more often than not. When I first started reading here then posting there was tons of useful knowledge and like minded people here. I feel that has changed.
Someone far smarter than I Am said if you give a man a fish he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish he eats for the rest of his life. I'm afraid we are giving away fish but not teaching anyone anything on here. What do I mean by that you ask.
There are far too many requests for a manual that a simple Google search would have turned up. Far too few owners reading the manual and asking questions they could have figured out by doing a little homework. And very few people using the search function to find answers to questions that have been answered numerous times before.
Yeah I know that there will be lots of you who disagree. I just feel the coddling nature of this site does no one any good long term. It seems to be nothing more than a reflection of the entitlement we see around us more and more every day.
I for one long for helping people with problems that aren't covered in the manual or require experience the senior members have.
Not too long ago I started a post saying we should ban any member who was trying to sell pellets during the shortage at a huge profit. The post was totally tongue in cheek. While I think the practice is deplorable I did not think the site would actually kick people off. I was lambasted by some and applauded by others. The post got nasty and was taken down at my request. Really. We live in a country, thank God, that allows everyone to express an opinion. Let's stop taking ourselves so seriously. Nothing said on here is earth shattering and in the scheme of things doesn't mean diddly.
There are other web sites that have no issue with reminding others to RTFM, which stands for read the manual. Humorous and effective. That's teaching someone to fish instead of giving them a fish.
Thanks for letting me express my opinion. This will be my final post on this web site..stop clapping please. Thank again

There are other web sites that have no issue with reminding others to RTFM, which stands for read the manual.

And this is not one of them. See ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.