Thank you!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for a week or so and you folks have already helped me avoid a big mistake. I was considering the purchase of a large Dutchwest non-cat to replace our old Roundoak cookstove. I'm a cheap Dutchman and was thrilled by the low price! Thank you for the warnings.

Now I am considering the Jotul F600 in brown enamel. I have a ton of questions but will stick to one simple one for my first post. Can I cook on this model without damaging the finish? I see they offer a cooktop insert for the 500 but don't see one listed for the 600. Could I place a soapstone on the top after the enamel has cured? What about ordering a seperate plain insert and saving the enamel one? Any and all suggestions welcome.

I know everyone loves the heck out of their Jotul's and feel certain that someone will chime in asap, but I just wondered since the cooking is important to you whether you had considered the Pacific Energy Alderlea series? They appear to be pretty serious about the cooking to me!
http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_alderleaT5.php

I can tell you that any skillet, trivet, iron kettle, or pot, or pan, used on top the enamel will eventually mar the finish.

Thank you for the replies. That PE looks interesting. I'm really set on the enamel finish but didn't see that they offered it.

I realize the enamel will mar, being softer than metal. Would a large soapstone cause the enamel under it to overheat and deteriorate? I would just like to be able to simmer a large pot of chili occasionally.

I'm not sure about the soap stone question, but consider using stove rope gasket on the bottom of whatever you use on the top of the enameled stove. Makes for a nice soft and scratch free surface. Maybe make a large trivet type piece to be placed on the stove when wanted.

Stubborn Dutchman said:
So simple! What a great idea! Thank you.

I hope it works for you....and welcome to the forum.

Stubborn Dutchman said:
Thank you for the replies. That PE looks interesting. I'm really set on the enamel finish but didn't see that they offered it.

I realize the enamel will mar, being softer than metal. Would a large soapstone cause the enamel under it to overheat and deteriorate? I would just like to be able to simmer a large pot of chili occasionally.

While we do a lot of cooking on our soapstone stove I think you would be disappointed if you placed a piece of soapstone on top of another stove as the heat just won't transfer too great.

I'm thinking that Fireman Jake tried it and it did not work well for him. Probably a few others but my mind is only working half time today so I can't come up with names or posts w/o doing a search.

I have a little scrap of soapstone on my stove, (stove is a steel Country Flame) just to prevent my humidifier pot from marring or rusting my stove. (Or I set my tea on it to warm it back up)

I just checked temps with my IR thermometer. The stone and pot is on the corner of the stove. Right now the center of the stove is 375, right next to the soapstone it's 340, the soapstone is 240, and the water in the pot is 125. Not much good for cooking at that temp, but when I reload the stove and it gets into the 500-700 range I'll watch the temps.

Have you asked a Jotul dealer about the cooking insert? Even if the stove you're considering is used, you can get info from them, and order that part if it is a possibility. When I was stove shopping I called a dealer for info about an older Jotul on ebay, and that dealer was very helpful. Of course, sometimes the people here know more than a dealer :) . Otherwise, perhaps you could find/make a steel plate or tray-like thing to sit atop the enamel? That would allow good heat transfer and protect the stove top unless you were actually scraping the protective plate around.

Just throwing out another non-cat enameled option. We have a Napoleon 1400PL and they can be snazzed up with a number of enamel options. The big plus is that you can purchase an aluminum cooking trivet that plops right into the top of the stove (this is less than $100 bucks). The Napoleon is a good stove at a reasonable price (I am just one step away from "cheap" as I'm 1/2 dutch and married to a Scott)

We've been really happy with our Napoleon (purchased based upon Hearth.com reviews a year ago). Rummage around on this forum as someone recently installed one and shared their enthusiasm for this stove in a recent topic.

In any case, good luck with your choice and happy burning!

annette said:
I have a little scrap of soapstone on my stove, (stove is a steel Country Flame) just to prevent my humidifier pot from marring or rusting my stove. (Or I set my tea on it to warm it back up)

I just checked temps with my IR thermometer. The stone and pot is on the corner of the stove. Right now the center of the stove is 375, right next to the soapstone it's 340, the soapstone is 240, and the water in the pot is 125. Not much good for cooking at that temp, but when I reload the stove and it gets into the 500-700 range I'll watch the temps.

Have you asked a Jotul dealer about the cooking insert? Even if the stove you're considering is used, you can get info from them, and order that part if it is a possibility. When I was stove shopping I called a dealer for info about an older Jotul on ebay, and that dealer was very helpful. Of course, sometimes the people here know more than a dealer :) . Otherwise, perhaps you could find/make a steel plate or tray-like thing to sit atop the enamel? That would allow good heat transfer and protect the stove top unless you were actually scraping the protective plate around.

Since I noticed Jotul offers a cooktop insert for the Oslo, I looked up the exploded view of the 600. It shows the center of the top is an a bolt in insert. I'm looking to buy new and could either order an extra insert in plain black finish or a another in enamel to swap out if I trash the original too badly. At the moment I'm leaning towards a second enamel insert as a backup in case I screw up with the trivet/rope gasket trick suggested above. I'm thinking if I order it with the stove Uncle Sam gets to pay for part of it. :)

NothingLikeWood said:
Just throwing out another non-cat enameled option. We have a Napoleon 1400PL and they can be snazzed up with a number of enamel options. The big plus is that you can purchase an aluminum cooking trivet that plops right into the top of the stove (this is less than $100 bucks). The Napoleon is a good stove at a reasonable price (I am just one step away from "cheap" as I'm 1/2 dutch and married to a Scott)

We've been really happy with our Napoleon (purchased based upon Hearth.com reviews a year ago). Rummage around on this forum as someone recently installed one and shared their enthusiasm for this stove in a recent topic.

In any case, good luck with your choice and happy burning!

Thank you for the recommendation. I will give them a look. The only reason I'm hot for the Jotul is that I got to check one out at the local dealers shop Saturday. And he wants to deal!

Backwoods Savage said:
Stubborn Dutchman said:

While we do a lot of cooking on our soapstone stove I think you would be disappointed if you placed a piece of soapstone on top of another stove as the heat just won't transfer too great.

I'm thinking that Fireman Jake tried it and it did not work well for him. Probably a few others but my mind is only working half time today so I can't come up with names or posts w/o doing a search.

As BS said the soapstone does not transmit heat as well . . . of course I also have it up off my cast iron stove top with 1/4 "feet" to allow air to circulate between the soapstone slab and the cast iron top. In any case, the stone warms up, but it does not get wicked hot . . . at the temps I am seeing I would say it would allow you to keep something warm . . . maybe heat up some chili, soup, etc. . . . but no actual cooking.

Jags said:
I'm not sure about the soap stone question, but consider using stove rope gasket on the bottom of whatever you use on the top of the enameled stove. Makes for a nice soft and scratch free surface. Maybe make a large trivet type piece to be placed on the stove when wanted.

Jags, The rope gasket is what I use under a cast iron steamer pot. You need to be careful though, when the pot runs out of water and the bottom of the streamer really heats the gasket rope, I have found it leaves an imprint of the gasket on the enamel finish. When it is cool you can feel that it is raised and I have yet to find a way to remove it. I don't know if it is a residue from the gasket cooked onto the enamel or if it is an imprint burnt into the enamel. Either way, it's no big deal as long as I leave the steamer pot in place, and since it looks nice....no biggie.

As far as cooking on an enamel finish, I would be reluctant to do so as any droplets that land on the enamel seem to mar the finish. Just my 2 cents....

Sheepdog said:
Jags, The rope gasket is what I use under a cast iron steamer pot. You need to be careful though, when the pot runs out of water and the bottom of the streamer really heats the gasket rope, I have found it leaves an imprint of the gasket on the enamel finish.

Wow - thats good to know. Maybe the rope gasket idea isn't all that good of an option. I wonder if it would do the same to the painted surface of a steel or cast stove??? Hmmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.