Thanks Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1968

Jul 12, 2008
Eastern Maine
Burning tonight. Nice even 400 degrees or so. Probably a frost night. I want to thank everyone who helped me.
Here's the story in pictures:
th_IMG_2124.jpg

I had to build a hearth/extension to place my Homestead on. I'm no dummy, but, I've never done this before. So, I asked the experts on this site how to proceed with my hearth. I got some great advice from Rick (aka Fossil) and BeGreen and this is the Cementious Backer Unit shot:
th_IMG_2127.jpg

Then I needed to tile that sucker, and I got some great advice from Andy99 (and a professional tile guy I happened to run into at my local Home Despot). So here it is tiled:
th_IMG_2238.jpg

Of course, after that, I grouted it. And then with some help of some friends I got the beast on the hearth:
th_IMG_2260.jpg

After a LONG struggle getting the flue and the clearances just right (thanks to Evergreen Hearth and Home, Ellsworth, ME--sorry for the shameless plug) I got everything just right:
th_IMG_2267.jpg

I know I've just started, but, damn, this is so much better than baseboards.

Again, THANKS to Rick, BeGreen, and Any99. I couldn't have done it without you.

Sit back and enjoy the warmth badger. Looks like a fine job. Enjoy!

Looks great, enjoy. You did a real nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beauty! Burn on! Rick

Again, thanks guys. Thanks for the advice and the kind words. I see a lot of beautiful homes and hearths on this site and, well, mine is kinda' "white trash." ;-)
But, Mrs. and I are working to make it better every day. All the best!

Quite a transformation/improvement! Looks great, and should serve you well for years to come.

Badgeer - nice looking install. Makes me want to get my Homestead install pics on.

Nice work.

Is that soapstone actually green or is it the lighting and the contrast with the red trim? Haven't seen green before.

badger1968 said:
Again, thanks guys. Thanks for the advice and the kind words. I see a lot of beautiful homes and hearths on this site and, well, mine is kinda' "white trash." ;-)
But, Mrs. and I are working to make it better every day. All the best!

I don't know . . . looks pretty nice to me . . . and better than more than a few places and installs that I have seen in my "professional travels" over the years. :) ;)

RE: Evergreen . . . I haven't had any personal experience with them, but when the folks there were running the Bangor store they were top notch . . . I only wish they hadn't pulled out of Bangor. One of our Fire Inspectors also has nothing but good things to say about them -- probably since they nabbed a Harmon pellet stove for him and pellets back in August even when other places were simply putting folks on a waiting list.

Is that soapstone actually green or is it the lighting and the contrast with the red trim? Haven’t seen green before.

It's not green, but the color has subtlety darkened and maybe added a bit of turquoise color after just a few fires.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I enjoyed reading them. And if anyone ever has a question about a Homestead install, just let me know. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.