Thanks members for the idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Saw someone else post this idea and decided to use some big Locust trunks to make these campfire benches. 10 minutes each.

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 130
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 127
Their great, but a lot of BTUs there:):ZZZ

Reactions: ScotO
LOCUST? THAT'S JUST WRONG!! Looks good, MWN! I built one several weeks ago at a job out of red maple.Resampled952012-03-119512-13-379530.jpg

White Oak Oct 2011 & shorter Walnut w/ salvaged 80yr old+ Western Red Cedar from telephone pole in backyard

Gonna do another Walnut one for the neighbor real soon. new white oak bench  in roundabout on trail.JPGBlack Walnut & Cedar bench 101211.JPG

That Black Locust one (and Osage/Hedge too) will still be around long after we're all compost.;) In my experience & talking w/ old-timers over the years,Black Walnut heartwood isnt too far off in decay-resistance.I've seen & am lucky to have purchased several Walnut barn beams that were well over 100 yrs old.Back then they used what was on the land for building purposes.Even the sill plates were pretty decent.

I had 5 black locust trees go down along with a 20 inch cherry in the hurricane last August. Never really looked at what was on the ground until recently. I had plans to address the blow downs when the ground froze, but that never happened. Opted to deal with them now rather than wait for next winter. The cherry was laying in spring water/mud. I have so much wood now that I am seriously considering a mill rather than make everything into firewood. I will have to do some math, but my guess is I am in excess of 45 cords now. Still can't stop scrounging what is close though. Time for a weekly meeting session I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.