Thanks Pellet Gang

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I heat with cord wood but a couple of years ago I bought a 25-PDVC at year end to give pellets a try down in my basement office. After a couple of bags, the economics didn't make sense so I rolled the stove out and put the wood stove back on the flue.

Well, thanks to you guy's heads-ups here I went into HD today and hauled home a ton of Stove Chow for $187. Gonna go back for another ton. Since I moved the office upstairs any time I am working in the basement by the time the wood stove is kicking heat I am done. Now I can fire the pellet puppy and get me some heat. Then I can turn it off when I am through. A couple of tricks a wood stove can't do.

Thanks for the heads up.

BrotherBart said:
I heat with cord wood but a couple of years ago I bought a 25-PDVC at year end to give pellets a try down in my basement office. After a couple of bags, the economics didn't make sense so I rolled the stove out and put the wood stove back on the flue.

Well, thanks to you guy's heads-ups here I went into HD today and hauled home a ton of Stove Chow for $187. Gonna go back for another ton. Since I moved the office upstairs any time I am working in the basement by the time the wood stove is kicking heat I am done. Now I can fire the pellet puppy and get me some heat. Then I can turn it off when I am through. A couple of tricks a wood stove can't do.

Thanks for the heads up.
Pellets or wood stoves both have there good and bad about them but pellet prices at the big box stores are hard to pass up right now.

What is fascinating is that the Lowe's two blocks away is still asking $290 a ton. For Penningtons.

Hey BB

The Tractor Supply by me has a sign on the Pellet Stacks saying they will beat anyone's prices.
Not sure if that is a local thing up here or a TS marketing plan.
The store near me has/or had Stove Chow.
Might be worth looking into.

---Nailer---

Thanks for the tip. I will call them. The distance difference might negate any price advantage. That 454 Suburban I haul them in is one gas drinking hog. :red: But it didn't even hunker down or miss a beat with that ton in the back. I can't say the same for me when I was unloading them.

At HD a nice twenty something couple of a guy and a gal took pity on the old fart and loaded'er right up. And smiled and thanked me for my business. That place has changed! It could have something to do with me seeing just four people check out the whole time I was there. In a pretty well populated area.

The ability to fire up and have heat in fairly short order is going to be very nice. I bet the stick burner won't end up sitting there again. Now when your done you can flip the switch and shut it down and no more fuel is burned until you want heat again.

BrotherBart said:

Thanks for the heads up.
Brother Bart,
Which HD did you get them from? I might have to drive my 2500HD to northern VA and get me some good Stove Chow. I dont have much to pick from down here. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
What is fascinating is that the Lowe's two blocks away is still asking $290 a ton. For Penningtons.

Yes, they are charging almost $300, so is SAms club. Penningtongs are really bad pellets, at least in my stove. The Chows are the best for the buck this year.

bigdaddyste said:
Which HD did you get them from? I might have to drive my 2500HD to northern VA and get me some good Stove Chow. I dont have much to pick from down here. :mad:

Stafford, VA has them from what they told me on the phone. Easy on and off of I-95. Get on the horn and check around. Looks like that is HD's price everywhere.

BrotherBart said:
bigdaddyste said:

Stafford, VA has them from what they told me on the phone. Easy on and off of I-95. Get on the horn and check around. Looks like that is HD's price everywhere.

Nope the HDs here in central VA have Bayou for 260/ton :shut: and I haven't seen anything good about them here on the mill. I have seen alot of good things about Stove Chow and would love to get them for under 200/ton.

Thanks for the info. Stafford is about a hour from me, I think I will make the trip :cheese:

bigdaddyste said:
Thanks for the info. Stafford is about a hour from me, I think I will make the trip :cheese:

Be sure and call first. Long way to drive to find the racks empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.