Thanks to all you gassifier guys for breaking the way for the rest of us.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atlarge54

Dec 3, 2007
Hoosier
These gassifiers seem to be a long way from plug and play items. Storage and its added complexity is a huge issue. It looks like going into idle can cause huge creosote issues. No doubt gassifiers are the way of the future, but we've still got a ways to go. Anybody out there working on a pressurized 500 gal unit? There's no way I could replace my clunker junker system for $10,000. If anybody could post a photo of a $10,000 pile of firewood I'd like to see it. Thanks for everybody out there helping to make the future easier for the rest of us.

You've pretty much nailed it. It's not an easy beast to tame. So many variables from fuel quality, operator input, ever changing drafts, seasonal and ever changing loads, piping mis matches, etc. It's a wonder any of them work :)

In my travels I have learned the Euros have spent the most time designing, engineering, and evolving their design. I have installed 5 brands of Euro gasification boilers now. They are all fairly similar in design. Most undergo fairly strict testing and regulations. they, for the most part do what they are sold to do. When we see one out of control, hard to manage, it's more often than not operator error, or the operating conditions they have been put into.

I suspect there is a good reason they don't design huge fireboxes or large water content gasification vessels, like the OWF industry does .Just watching this list for a period of time pretty much shows what works and what doesn't. I wonder sometimes in an effort to American-ize and make it bigger and better, often cheaper :)... something gets lost in the translation.

Maybe we should adjust the load to match the boiler, instead of trying to force them out of their design comfort range. Buffing a high efficiency boiler makes sense, to a point.

It's always going to take more owner/ operator input and energy to heat with wood. Especially if you desire to do it efficiently. It's a lot like a second job.

hr

"Thanks for everybody out there helping to make the future easier for the rest of us."

You are welcome. I am not thrilled to be in the first round of the popularity of these, but like all technologies, they
will improve each year. There is a definite learning curve.

You're welcome. When I did mine, I had two thoughts:

1) The works amazingly well

2) This was a lot harder to figure out than I had expected

I created the nofossil site specifically to help folks who might be inclined to follow the same path, and I participate here for the same reason.

After three seasons, I'd have to say that I have it dialed in pretty well. I do wish I'd known then what I know now, but it's been a good thing the whole time. No regrets.

It may be a little intimidating trying to figure it all out, but it's worth it in the end. When it's 20 below and you watch the oil truck pass by the driveway every few days it's pretty satisfying.

Here's what cheers me up around the middle of every month. Note that the gas usage for '07 was augmented by a conventional wood-fired boiler that I chose not to run when the wind was blowing in the wrong direction.

Attachments

• gasbill.JPG
    gasbill.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.