Thanks to herth.com, choices narrowing toward Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Before starting I want to thank the people that have posted previously on this forum whether directly to me or to other topics as the information available is almost overwhelming and in most cases well thought out. NoLo and Garnification have posted a lot of helpful information specific to the Garn which I found useful, others for the Eko.

After first starting by looking at a OWB, then after this reading this forum looking at CB 2300, Garn, Eko, I find myself liking the self contained Garn. The Eko requires storage and living in a more remote area, it may be more difficult and expensive to set up and acquire my own storage.

I have been trying to do my homework as not to waste a lot of your time with answers I can find by searching previous posts. I am heating 2400 main floor, 2400 lower level, and 1200 workshop. I was careful with the window/door/room sizes and insulation factors. The house with 5.5” wall is well insulated with spray adhesive Applegate cellulose insulation in the walls, 2” foam under underground slab and all exterior outlet penetrations foamed prior to insulating. R50 in the ceilings, air infiltration is minimal. The shop has 5.5” fiberglass insulation and r44 ceiling and 2” foam under slab and perimeter. I am using SlantFin Heatloss Explorer 2 that someone on this site recommended on this site.

When I run heat loss calculations (SlantFin) on the house (90° Temp differential –20 to 70 degrees. 9078 Heating Degree days) I arrive at 90,932 BTU/hr. We have an existing Weil McClain G5 propane boiler (140,000BTU input/114.800BTU output) to heat the house that can easily heat the house and domestic hot water and definitely does not run continuously. If I am viewing this correctly that would mean that I am using less than 114,800 BTU/hr to heat the home at –20 degrees.

The workshop Slant/Fin calculates (-20 degrees---77 degree differential_6842 HDD base 57 degrees ) to 32,997 BTU/hr. I used 700 gallons of propane in the shop boiler and SlantFin calculations equate to 699 gallons in the 82% efficient propane boiler so I feel the reliability of the calculations is fairly accurate.

I have had two Garn dealers recommend the 2000 series over the 1500, and Cozy Heat recommend the Eko 60 based on 6000 sq./ft which includes 1200 sq./ft workshop.

Questions:

1- I am entertaining the Garn 2000 with its 1,272,000 Btu storage, as it seems the easiest way for me to get overnight heating at –20f without restocking the fire. Would others with experience agree with this?

2- is possible to use one plate to plate heat exchanger at the boiler for both buildings. I understand I would have to install a mixer valve in the shop where high temp is not required but it seems to be a lot cheaper than two heat exchangers.

3- Am I ok with 1” pex for 175 feet if my needs are 91,000 Btu and I can get the proper flow?

4- Is there a lower priced method to circulate underground other than the $10-30/ft foam insulated drain tile methods that I have heard quoted. Overall I need 200’. I was looking at the wrapped insulation Pinnacle method but have been advised that the heat loss is high with this method and I have no experience to make a decision. I do have to bury this under a driveway so the hose will be in the frost line. I could cover the hose with foam.

Thanks again, George

Sawyer said:
1- I am entertaining the Garn 2000 with its 1,272,000 Btu storage, as it seems the easiest way for me to get overnight heating at –20f without restocking the fire. Would others with experience agree with this?

If you don't mind, I want to expand on that question. I do NOT have storage, so all my thoughts on this matter are just that. . .thoughts. Hopefully some real-life-storage-users will chime in.

If it is -20*, I don't think storage is going to help you. How long does it take to reheat that volume of water from say 90* back to say 160*? If it's -20 out and you let the tank down to 90*, you need heat at the HX, not in the tank. Simply put . . . If your heat load requires 150kBtu/hr and you can only produce 120, once the tank is depleted you are going to have a cold house. If the max load is only for short periods (ie -20 at night but +30 day) then the tank would need to:

1)Fulfil the btu deficit over night
2)Recharge during the day (boiler output minus heat load) to prepare for the next deficet.

But then I don't much of anything about the Garn.

Like you ISeeDeadBTUs, I am winging it on the Garn boiler at this point. I sized my usage at 126,000 Btu/hr. at –20 degrees. If I fired before going to bed I could allow for a 25 degree temperature rise in my boiler which should buffer the immediate heat being withdrawn at the time. My thinking is the tank on the Garn 2000 stores 1,272,000 Btu’s, (120°-200°) I should get ten hours of heat out of it. I would be using water temps down to 120 degrees for the infloor heat. I do realize that there are losses in the supply and return lines and I can't use water temps below 120 degrees. At 120,000 Btu draw, I would still have an extra 300,000 Btu to build back the storage temperature. I would reload in the morning to build the temperature back up during the day. If I am making mistakes in my planning please correct me as those using are more knowledgeable than I am.

sawyer, i have a garn 1900, 1906gal with a 65000btu/hr winter habit, ci radiators and ci baseboard basically requiring 140deg min temp, thus reducing storage.I was able to comfortably fire twice on all but the worst handful of days. the recovery time with a well insulated ditch and 15+gal/min with 1/1/4 inch pex at 400k/btu hr firing rate was rapid. I chose to add 550 gal external storage to increase time between firings, that seemed to take care of those handful of days.

I've got my lines buried 5ft down with 4" of Corbond (R6.6 to the inch) around them and 1-2 inches of corbond seperating the hot and cold lines.... This is in Northern WI. I don't forsee any problems with that... But we'll have to wait and see what old man winter thinks next winter! :)

TCaldwell said:
sawyer, i have a garn 1900, 1906gal with a 65000btu/hr winter habit, ci radiators and ci baseboard basically requiring 140deg min temp, thus reducing storage.I was able to comfortably fire twice on all but the worst handful of days. the recovery time with a well insulated ditch and 15+gal/min with 1/1/4 inch pex at 400k/btu hr firing rate was rapid. I chose to add 550 gal external storage to increase time between firings, that seemed to take care of those handful of days.

Glad to hear you are happy with the Garn! Your experience supports my calculations and confidence. I talked to Jim Sauffer today and he said I should have no problem. I do have to change out my present coil on the air handler for a lower temperature operating range with this setup but that is not a problem and I do not rely on the forced air that often as the slab in the lower level seems to heat the upper level quite well. You mention a well insulated ditch, does that mean you designed and insulated it yourself? I too will need the 1 1/4", long feed is 175..

deerefanatic said:
I've got my lines buried 5ft down with 4" of Corbond (R6.6 to the inch) around them and 1-2 inches of corbond seperating the hot and cold lines.... This is in Northern WI. I don't forsee any problems with that... But we'll have to wait and see what old man winter thinks next winter! :)

You got my curiosity up. When I Googled Corbond I was of the opinion that it is a spray insulation company? Was this foamed in place in a ditch? I'm over in Mercer and travel your way when I'm on to see the grandchildren in Mpls. We even have some cat hunters come up here from Ladysmith to run their dogs, a bunch of good sportsmen.

When I Googled Corbond

Corbond is a brand name for a closed cell spray foam. I have it in my house. There are other manufacturers. Closed cell is a higher r per inch than open cell.
Will

Right, they sprayed a layer into the ditch, let it expand, threw the cold lines on top and sprayed over them, then let it expand, then threw the hot lines on top of that and sprayed, let expand, then went over it a couple more times to round it out....

DO NOT let the contractor just spray it all in at once.. The contractor that did mine says that the corbond will hit 300F while expanding.... If it's a thin layer it will cool down very quickly (cool enough to touch within less than a minute.... BUT, if a bunch of it were sprayed in at once, the heat could get trapped inside (it is insulation after all) and cook your pex.... Corbond (the company) specifically told my contractor that.

I will say this much: If you live in Northern WI, don't think, don't blink, don't hesitate; Get Lucas Thorne of Lucas Thorne construction to do your lines. He's a great honest guy, prompt, friendly, and very good. Heck, he told me afterward that he forgot what he'd originally quoted me over the phone and asked ME how much he'd told me.. That's a guy with character (I could have easily told him $100 or so less).....

Sawyer said:
deerefanatic said:

You got my curiosity up. When I Googled Corbond I was of the opinion that it is a spray insulation company? Was this foamed in place in a ditch? I'm over in Mercer and travel your way when I'm on to see the grandchildren in Mpls. We even have some cat hunters come up here from Ladysmith to run their dogs, a bunch of good sportsmen.

Give me a call sometime and drop in! Just PM me when you're gonna be in the area.

deerefanatic said:
Right, they sprayed a layer into the ditch, let it expand, threw the cold lines on top and sprayed over them, then let it expand, then threw the hot lines on top of that and sprayed, let expand, then went over it a couple more times to round it out....

DO NOT let the contractor just spray it all in at once.. The contractor that did mine says that the corbond will hit 300F while expanding.... If it's a thin layer it will cool down very quickly (cool enough to touch within less than a minute.... BUT, if a bunch of it were sprayed in at once, the heat could get trapped inside (it is insulation after all) and cook your pex.... Corbond (the company) specifically told my contractor that.

I will say this much: If you live in Northern WI, don't think, don't blink, don't hesitate; Get Lucas Thorne of Lucas Thorne construction to do your lines. He's a great honest guy, prompt, friendly, and very good. Heck, he told me afterward that he forgot what he'd originally quoted me over the phone and asked ME how much he'd told me.. That's a guy with character (I could have easily told him $100 or so less).....

Thanks for the tip, I talked to his wife and he will call me this evening. I will give you a call when we are going through to the cities, likewise if you are up in our area!

I might be very interested in coming up and seeing your stove if you get an EKO.....

Likewise, anybody who has an EKO/Tarm/Econoburn in Northern WI, I'd like to see your stove.....

Oh, also, you'll be glad to deal with Lucas.... Tell him Matt Jorgensen sent him your way.... He'll know who that is! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.