Thanks to the Forum, We're Buying a Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Long time lurker...first time poster. Hello everyone!

Well, we're finally going to do it. We've researched about a hundred stoves (exaggerating only slightly) and learned tons of information about stoves, wood, etc. on this forum (mostly) and elsewhere (some), and we're going with a Hearthstone Phoenix in matte black to be our primary heat source, supplemented with an oil boiler, hot water radiator system.

Some background:
Almost six years ago, the wife and I bought a 1923 solid-brick Georgian Colonial in suburban Baltimore with two fireplaces and about 3000 sq. ft. At the time, oil (main heating source) was $0.99/gallon so we didn't make much of it and burned 1800(!!!) gallons our first year here. Since then we've become more environmentally- and energy-aware and thought about adding a wood stove. I grew up in a 1700s house that had a HUGE stove that sounded like a freight train when you got it going, so I wasn't really sure if this would work. To my delight, they don't do that anymore, and they look nice, too. When oil hit $4/gallon (our oil company said we're "price protected" at $5.59!!!) and the payback period dropped under four years, that was the last straw. I've spent the last six weeks getting the installation specs together (hearth installation) and we should be installed shortly after Thanksgiving. Then I'll get started on finding a consistent wood source besides the half-dozen or so hickory trees that need to come down in our yard. We have about 4 cords stacked nicely on our porch, which hasn't collapsed from the weight (yet :gulp: ).

I like walking in the woods, not cutting them down myself, so for the time being I'll be ordering wood delivered. One step at a time...

Thanks to all who post good info on this site. It really helps!

I'll post pictures and a first burn report once it's installed.

Your welcome.

lol

Tons of good information on this site. I bought my stove on the stuff I read here.

Welcome,
Hearhstone makes a great product, you should be nice and warm this winter.

MMandm said:
Long time lurker...first time poster. Hello everyone!

Well, we're finally going to do it. We've researched about a hundred stoves (exaggerating only slightly) and learned tons of information about stoves, wood, etc. on this forum (mostly) and elsewhere (some), and we're going with a Hearthstone Phoenix in matte black to be our primary heat source, supplemented with an oil boiler, hot water radiator system.

Some background:
Almost six years ago, the wife and I bought a 1923 solid-brick Georgian Colonial in suburban Baltimore with two fireplaces and about 3000 sq. ft. At the time, oil (main heating source) was $0.99/gallon so we didn't make much of it and burned 1800(!!!) gallons our first year here. Since then we've become more environmentally- and energy-aware and thought about adding a wood stove. I grew up in a 1700s house that had a HUGE stove that sounded like a freight train when you got it going, so I wasn't really sure if this would work. To my delight, they don't do that anymore, and they look nice, too. When oil hit $4/gallon (our oil company said we're "price protected" at $5.59!!!) and the payback period dropped under four years, that was the last straw. I've spent the last six weeks getting the installation specs together (hearth installation) and we should be installed shortly after Thanksgiving. Then I'll get started on finding a consistent wood source besides the half-dozen or so hickory trees that need to come down in our yard. We have about 4 cords stacked nicely on our porch, which hasn't collapsed from the weight (yet :gulp: ).

I like walking in the woods, not cutting them down myself, so for the time being I'll be ordering wood delivered. One step at a time...

Thanks to all who post good info on this site. It really helps!

I'll post pictures and a first burn report once it's installed.
Sounds like you need the Equinox or at least the Mansfield if you're trying to heat 3000 sq.ft.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, indeed, thanks to this forum I replaced my old smoke dragon last spring with a new epa-insert and have never "looked back".. Hearthstone is a good choice. Hopefully some hearthstone owners will chime in here and tell you about their experiences.

My thought also is you might want to look at a larger stove. One of the most common mistakes is to get a stove that will not do the job. I am not just talking overnight burns but just big enough to deal with cold weather. If it turns out to small you will be loosing quite a bit when you have to upgrade.

Rich L said:
Sounds like you need the Equinox or at least the Mansfield if you're trying to heat 3000 sq.ft.

I'd love to have the Equinox, but space considerations won't allow for something that big. I realize the Phoenix isn't going to heat the whole house in 20F weather (or even most of it). We have another fireplace (semi-efficient) to help out as well as some electric space heaters in the bedrooms. I usually keep the house around 62-64 in the winter. We also have a finished attic space that we don't really heat.

Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. I'll love to hear your thoughts on the Pheonix after running it for a winter becasue I've always liked the look and concept of the stove. In the longer run, perhaps the other "semi-efficient" fireplace would be a good candidate for an insert or another stove. Despite the fact that your house is 3000 sq ft, that doesn't automatically mean that the large heaters like a Mansfield are appropriate, not only due to clearance issues, etc, but due to the difficulty in distributing the heat throughour the house with room layout etc. The Pheonix should put a large dent in your oil bill and you should be able to keep your house warmer than 62-64 if you wish. Your house sounds beautiful, but being an older home, anything you can due to improve heat retention such as insulation (especially attic but look at basement too), windows, caulking, will be money well spent. Once you get that stove burning, it's likely you'll find that you just plain enjoy the fire. Then your hooked and nirvana sets in from there %-P Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.