Thanks to this site I am 2 years ahead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
Hello all - I am new to the site, although I've been reading over it for awhile. The best piece of info that I've gotten is to get further ahead in my wood supply. So I've been busy this summer and have finally gotten to the point where I'm 2 years ahead. I've got about 10 cords c/s/s ready to go, and usually burn about 5 in a winter. Of course soon I'll have to begin replacing what I burn, then I'll try to get 3 years ahead, for me it's a job that's never really done! Thanks for all the good information on here!

Ed

Thats it? You should be at least 3-4 years ahead. :p
Just kidding, nice job, thats one thing I learned here even before I owned my stove, I had 5-6 cords of wood long before I chose what stove to buy.

Yay, I hear ya. That's where I started too. Next thing I knew I was rebuilding my thimble, putting a new stove in, lining my chimney, buying foreign axes, using super cedar starters, building a holz hausen, and generally wondering what the hell I used to do with all my time :)

Welcome! It's an addiction! But the good kind.

pen

Welcome, Red...good to have ya. Nice job getting ahead already.

red oak said:
Hello all - I am new to the site, although I've been reading over it for awhile. The best piece of info that I've gotten is to get further ahead in my wood supply. So I've been busy this summer and have finally gotten to the point where I'm 2 years ahead. I've got about 10 cords c/s/s ready to go, and usually burn about 5 in a winter. Of course soon I'll have to begin replacing what I burn, then I'll try to get 3 years ahead, for me it's a job that's never really done! Thanks for all the good information on here!

Ed

Ed; nice job on getting two years ahead. Stay at it when you can.

zap

Don't give this site all the credit. You did allot of work getting that far ahead.
This site just explained why & the benefits, you took the info & went with it.
Good for you.
Does feel good though, doesn't it? :)

Good job!

Dave, good point. How many get the info, don't listen to it, then still complain of stove not running correctly?
Ed, you're right, it's a job never done. I've been working on the rest of '13-'14 wood and next spring will start working on '14-'15.......just like most of these folks.

Nice work and welcome. Once you go through the effort to get a few years ahead, maintaining feels relatively easy.

red oak said:
I've got about 10 cords c/s/s ready to go
I'll take a wild guess on the type of wood...Red Oak? :)
Welcome to the forums!

this site has helped me alot to...2nd year of burning for me...last year was semi prepared..this year little more prepared..just not where i wanna be...but im working on the next 2 years now..ill say the biggest obstacle to get over is convincing the wife to let me put wood all over the yard....dont have a real good place for wood storage.
when i do get a good ways ahead im buying an epa stove

steeltowninwv said:
this site has helped me alot to...2nd year of burning for me...last year was semi prepared..this year little more prepared..just not where i wanna be...but im working on the next 2 years now..ill say the biggest obstacle to get over is convincing the wife to let me put wood all over the yard....dont have a real good place for wood storage.
when i do get a good ways ahead im buying an epa stove

Without a doubt- keeping the wife happy is Job #1 ! I just took over another 350 sq.ft. of the yard for drying racks. Last year I built a 16' x8' wood shed,too. She'll get used to it. Saving around $4000 a year on oil softens the blow a little. :p
She sees stacks of wood.....I see stacks of saved cash.

red oak said:

Ed

Welcome to the forum Ed. Good to hear that you've been reading and learning for a while. That just shows you are an intelligent man. Now I hope you will share with us some of your other intelligence.

Being 2-3 years ahead on the wood pile just plain makes good sense. It can be difficult getting that far ahead but everyone I know of that has done so has really been thankful they put in the work to do it. After you get that far ahead, it is sort of like the old pitcher pump. You have to prime it and then pump like crazy but once the water started coming, then you just had to keep a little easy pressure on it and you had lots of water. Now you keep just a little steady easy pressure on the wood cutting and you'll have lots of good dry wood to burn. That makes January and February go a whole lot better too.

It's always good to be ahead . . . like Dennis says, once you are ahead working the wood is a lot easier since you do not have the pressure and working the wood is a lot more pleasurable as you can work a bit here or there.

Status
Not open for further replies.