Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Introduction: I moved to Va 23 yrs ago, bought a house that had a wood stove, sometimes it was the only heat we had and I swear I thought Dry wood was wood #1 live tree with no leaves ( winter) sap down nocker down let lay till spring . Split throw in pile through a tarp over burn. Decided to buy a new stove looked on the internet ( shopping) I thougt but was actually educating myself. I read about 2 years stack sunshine and wind for Oak . Thats 90 per cent of what I burn. Unless left over from year before I always burned 6 to 9 months oak . I studied website and went to several differn t dealers an ended up with a Joutul F-500 Oslo. ( Gave old stove away) Also with my curiosity of soapstone I am lining my hearth with soapstone tiles. And I have been stackig and cutting splitting after reading you folks .

going to try to post a picture or 2. u got to remember there wernt even electric typwritters when I went to school

CPT

Sounds like you are making good decisions. The Oslo is a first rate stove. It will perform great with good, dry wood and a good flue system.

cptoneleg said:
...u got to remember there wernt even electric typwritters when I went to school

Me either. And they actually had typing classes you had to go through. Now it is "keyboarding".

This forum taught this old dog some new tricks. The biggie was the dry wood. Thought after thirty plus years of heating with wood that I knew it all. Didn't know squat. Probably still don't but the wood is bone dry now.

A moisture meter (of some sort) is your BEST friend!
There is really no other way to verify the MC...
Sold & installed a Regency stove in a very small home last spring & the guy
called me SWEARING like a trooper that I'd sold him a P.O.S., he was getting NO HEAT
& to get it out & he'd been burning wood for 30 years & he wasn't gonna pay, etc., etc.
Went there with a Moisture Meter & some verified dry (18% MC) wood & had his house up to 85 degrees in 25 minutes.
Checked his wood's MC & found it to be 35%!
He couldn't believe it, & swore the wood was stored correctly & blah, blah blah
The heat that little Regency steel stove threw was more
than enough for his home - WITH the right wood...
He paid us.

Well I have purchased A moisture Meter, because of allI have read on this site about dry wood. I havent tried it on my wood yet because I have been out of town. I work away from home,but Memorial Day weekend I split stacked about 1 cord and then another 4th weekend. And after reading this site everyday was wondwering if I could even burn that wood this year, so I have purchased the Meter amd stove thermometer. So when I go home next week I will check it out. So I have about 1 to 1 1/2 cords left from last year.
When I was reading the reviews on new stoves they all said the same thing these stoves like seasoned wood. And in the past I have bought some wood so I asked the man we buy wood from what he considered dry seasoned wood, Logs laying over there in apile for 6 months or more when someone orders a cord he saws to length splits and delivers your dry seasoned wood.
So it is very doutful I will be able to come up with enough seasoned wood to make the winter.
And I do thank everyone for the help,

Hooked on Wood wish I was Home putting up for next year.

Cpt

Random thoughts . . .

You'll like the Oslo . . . or at least most folks who have the Oslo love it. What does it have for a finish? That's one of the few regrets of Oslo owners . . . folks who bought the matte black instead of the blue black finish . . . well that and the front door which drops ashes on to the hearth and stove lip.

You're not the only person who had a funny notion about seasoned wood . . . many of us were the same way before we found the light and became Disciples of the Enlightened Wood Burning Church.

HehHeh . . . hard to say when you went to school . . . I graduated in 1988 from high school and all we had were manual typewriters . . . but a typing class in high school (taken to waste time) proved to be one of the best and most useful classes I took in high school.

1967, yep that was the year I graduated, senior trip to a little place called Viet Nam. Enough on how old I am.

My stove is Green Mojolica enamel the other choice for the in stock price was the brown. Both beautiful stoves but I chose the Green, anything that I orderd would have been 400 more dollars. It was delivered when I was at work, (out of town) and have not seen it except a picture my wife sent me, I am taking a week vacation plans are #1 finish hearth #2 build a nice and convenient woodshed #3 cut to length and split and stack some oaks I nocked down last winter #4 visit some wood vendors ( with my new M M ) and try to purchase some seasoned wood for this season #5 Drink Beer Maybe try to learn how to post some pictures, which I have enjoyed the ones I have seen on this site.
My wife laughed at my post said I have nocked down atree cut split stacked on porch and went to burning all the same day. She loves my new addiction says after 23 + - years she may finally be warm.

Cait Wait Till Vac.

Cpt

cptoneleg, welcome to the hearth.

Hope you have a great week on vacation getting this stove set up and ready to burn. Good luck on finding seasoned wood. I have installed a different stove myself, and am looking foward to trying it out too.

Thank you for your service in Nam.

Status
Not open for further replies.